Just ordered a rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim VanMiddlesworth

Just ordered a rifle

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Hi Kirk,

I'm happy to have ordered my first rifle from you this past Friday but one thing is not to my liking regarding the barrel. I'll list for you what I ordered as opposed to what I want and see if we can make it work. My goal is to stay within the NRA 12 lb 2oz weight limit.

I ordered:
# 1 Sporter, semi-fancy, hand picked wood
Steel shotgun butt plate
Pewter fore end cap
45/70
1/2 oct/round heavy, 30" bbl
# 100 long range Soule sight
# 113 front globe sight
Standard Hadley eye disc
Full buckhorn rear sight

I'm told this combo will keep me within the weight limit. However, I really prefer the heavy, 30" full octagon bbl. If I go with that will I still be within the limit or will I need to use the standard octagon bbl? What is the weight difference between the standard barrel and heavy barrel?

Jim
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

If the full heavy barrell won't make weight and you still want it you could drop the pewter forarm tip or the steel buttplate and maybe still make 12-2. Just a friendly suggestion.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omak Cowboy

making weight

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Jim, as you can read from the bottom of my post I was concerned about the same issue. I chose a 28 in ch barrel - heavy octagon, of course and came in at 11 lbs 2 oz.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
vopo

Post by vopo »

Jim,

I just recently recieved my Sporter #1. It has the same features as your gun except it is a 45/90 w/extra fancy wood. My rifle weighs in at 11 lbs. 10 oz. w/similar sights.

When I initially ordered my gun I wanted the 30" extra heavy barrel. The gals at shilo indicated that they had rifles that went over the NRA weight limit w/this barrel, so I changed it to a heavy half.

I actually like the looks of the 1/2 round barrel better. It seems to give the gun a more "custom" look. I also had the barrel polished at the last minute, am I glad I did.
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Jim,
My #1 came off the floor at 11lb 7oz wa same as yours w/o the pewter tip but 30" heavy octogon and a full buckhorn rear site.

Replaced the buckhorn with a dovetail filler, and added Ron Heilman long range tang and globe sites. Still weighs under 12 lbs. Guess the question is, what does the tip weigh?

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Bo, is your's a 45-70 or 40-65?
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Jim,
Mines a 45-70, but now remember that the buckhorn I took off was as semi not a full? Can't weigh that much, never weighed the tang and globe seperate but think Ron said was about 5oz

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Jim, I went through the same exercise. I ordered a #1 sporter in 40-65 with steel shotgun butt plate, pewter tip, MVA's fore and aft, and asked if it would make weight with a full heavy octogon. Kirk said the only way to try would be first to eliminate the steel butt plate and pewter tip to save weight, and even then it's very difficult since the 40 cal. barrel is by nature heavier than the 45.

I didn't want to go with a standard weight barrel as heavy barrels are reportedly more accurate for a long string of shots. And as accuracy is the primary objective, and the pewter tip and steel butt plate really finish the rifle, the round barrel became more attractive. Tough problems, huh!
Good luck. Rickd.
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

I think your first choice of the 1/2 octagon barrel is the correct one. The pewter tip and steel shotgun buttplate really finish off the rifle as was said above so I would keep those. The 1/2 octagon barrel is period correct. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.