Another MLV question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PowderFlask2

Another MLV question

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Mike or any one else with input

I have been subscribing to Shooting Times for several years and enjoy your articles very much (usually read them first)
The question is on the Redding Competition seating die in the February issue that you "Couldn't live without"
I have been looking at these for some time and have not convinced myself yet that if I do my part and am careful with the seating die I have that the additional expense of the Redding would be justified,

As some one who started shooting BPCR silhouette less than a year ago (and am proud to say with the help from information on this board am doing pretty well) is this a buy now type of thing or a wait until I've ran out of other things to tweak type of thing???
Pitspitr

Post by Pitspitr »

Hi Mike (too)

I suscribed to ST because of your articles. (No disrespect meant to the other authors)
I really enjoyed the .45-70 article, but was shocked :shock: and "bummed" :x that you didn't list your competition load. I guess it MUST be good if you were afraid you might have to shoot against it some day :wink:
Anyway, keep up the good work!
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
flintski

Post by flintski »

POWDER MAN: :P I have a Redding Cometition seating die for my 38-55 and it is GREAT. I thought I was careful with my seating of bullets but after getting the Redding I was wrong. The Redding is the way to go even if you have to pay a little bit more. Very accurate every time. You dial it up or down a .oo1 or 2 and that is just what you get. Again this is worth the money. I plan on getting one now for my 40. :lol:
Just do it.
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Jim Kidwell

Another MLV question

Post by Jim Kidwell »

As with any seater die, remember to always rotate the case 180* and reseat......FWIW......Jim :idea:
MLV

Post by MLV »

Those Redding Competition dies are something I wish I had gone to long before. I hardly ever get more than .001 inch runout from bullets seated with them, and that's without twisting the cartridge 180 degrees and seating it again.

As for the other comment about not listing my "competition loads". They are right there in the load chart on page 64 under "silhouette" and "long range" handloads.

Thanks for reading the article.
Pitspitr

Post by Pitspitr »

Oops :oops:
I'll have to go back and look at it again.
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Mike

Thanks for the reply

I guess Dave @ Buffalo Arms is going to get some more of my money

Oh well, I'm having more fun shooting than Ive had in years!!!

Thanks again
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Just curious. Are the Redding Competition Seating Dies as good as or better than the straight line seating die offered by Meacham Rifle?(The Meacham has a window to insert the bullet .. above the case..similar to the old Vickerman dies). How do they compare to the RCBS Competiton Seating Dies? I've got my first Shiloh on order, a 40-65 #1, and I'm looking for the best way to load. Thanks.
MLV

Post by MLV »

Rickd: I can't say how the Redding stacks up against any other. I have one of the Meacham dies here for .40-65 but haven't had the occasion to load any .40-65s since it arrived. I'm looking forward to trying it. Also, I know that Shiloh is working on offering in line seating dies but I haven't gotten one of them yet either. I know they work because the Byan family's scores went way up after they started using them.
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Further inquirey on Inline Seating Dies or Competition Seating Dies.
If you seat the bullet on top of a compressed powder colum why would you need a micromiter seating die to seat the bullet? Not trying to be funny just need more info. Just got my new Steve Brooks mold and I want to start to put the best 40-65 loads togeather that I can.Thanks Howard
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Howard

some one else can chime in because obviously I haven't used one yet but my understanding is that it has more to do with seating the bullet concentric with the bore than with seating depth, the depth is just an added benefit

PowderFlask
MLV

Post by MLV »

The benefit of the micrometer part of the die is that you can record a seating depth for a specific load. Then you can change the die such as when trying other bullets, powder charges, and so forth. Then you can return to the first setting if you decide that was best.
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

So it is more of a Quality Control type insturment. Thanks guys. Howard