40-70sharps straight/bottleneck

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rob A.

40-70sharps straight/bottleneck

Post by Rob A. »

i have recently purchased a 40 70 shiloh stamped 40x2.1,is this the sharps bottleneck and what is the trim lenght. the books i have are lyman blackpowder and spg reloading. Also to all you readers I recieved a 45x 27/8last year. a thing of beauty, which i order in june of 99, so those waiting 10to12 months are very lucky. the 40 70 i am told is called an old reliable with 30 " octagonal barrel serial # B359. any body have any comments. i enjoy the forum i have been reading before my first shiloh arrived.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

If I'm not mistaken, Shiloh brought out the Shiloh 40/70 2.1"BN so that cases could be made from 45/70 brass. The original 40/70 Sharps BN was 2.25" in length. The only difference between the cartridges is.15" in the length of the neck on the cases.

I had a Remingtom rolling block made up in the 40/70 2.1BN but have only shot smokeless loads out of it. My 375 grain bullet extends below the neck of the case. Unless you have a custom bullet made with bore riding nose section, you cannt get a 350 grain or more bullet into the case without extending below the neck. I've heard that black powder loads will not shoot well if the bullet extends into the body of the bullet but just recently, at least on person on the net has said that he gets good accruacy with a deep seated bullet. Go figure.
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

I have a set of brand new reloading dies for the 2.1 if you are interested by C&H. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.