Shiloh service

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rob A.

Shiloh service

Post by Rob A. »

Hi folks.
At this time I would like to thanks the people at Shiloh for the patience and time to get my rifle to me here in Canada a year ago. I purchased a 45by27/8 long range express with rear dovetailm cut ,french gray reciever heavy 34"octagonal barrell. I have never seen a rifle of such quality before and I have quite a few of them, from Model 70 super grade to weatherby and lots in between. The staff over the three and a half years were excellent with all my requests and questions. In had a particularly hard time to get the rifle up here after it was finished production. The dealer who was supposed to recieve it on my behalf run into problem and I had to phone Phyllis at your office and get everthing redone to another dealer up. Needless to say after the two months of the rifle being in transit I was very happy to finally recieve it. The people at the gun shop phoned me and said that my rifle was in and that I could see it but not be able to take it home another week. I went to the store to have a look at it and it was quite humourus when I walked in I overheard someone say the fellow who owns the rifle is here. All the people working the counter came over for a peek when I opened the box. I got congratulation from all the guys and even the odd handshake you would have thought I had just become a new father. Another nice thing about your operation when I was there in May of 99, Heather was on the counter and was very helpful answering all my questions.Her son was there playing out in the store with a water pistol and I felt very comfortable talkin about the rifles. As soon as I drove back home I ordered a rifle and made only minor changes to the final order I thak you for all the help getting the rifle to me.
Rob A.

40/70 questions

Post by Rob A. »

I have a 40X2.1"which I found in an estate sale which I purchased and am having some qeustions arise on the rifle.
1) Is the brass for this made from 45/70 or 405 winchester, the store owner sold me 405 brass and iI found out it is to small at the head .
2)I would like to know the trim length of this brass.
3)What size bullets should I order from Bufalo Arms.
4) The store owner said that it was called the old reliable but the only rifle of that name I have seen was from an add from C. Sharps.

The rifle will be manly for hunting and probably shooting to 500 or 700 yards as this how far our range is. I enjoy your input and the forum. I am also having problems up here trying to find any true black powder, all anybody wants to sell me is pyrodex or 777, goex clear shot.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Rob, before you get a whole lot of money tied up in this thing, I would reccomend a re-barrel to a good caliber. I have re-barreled several of these for some real veteran shooters who tryed everything to get it to work nice.
If you want to continue, use 45-70 brass trimmed to 2.1, you will need a special mould made so that the base of the bullet does not pass under the bottle neck, you won't buy any pre-cast. As far as the old reliable get up, this is when Shiloh used to be C. Sharps Arms and john shoffstal was the distributer. I hope this information helps and I also hope I didn't ruin your day to bad. Thanks Kirk