Duplex loads with Black Powder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Duplex loads with Black Powder

Post by ironramrod »

Gentlemen,

Frank Mayer in some of his writings talked about using a small amount of FFg or FFFg under the main charge of black powder during his buffalo hunting days.

Has anyone experimented with this concept, and what were the results?

Regards,
MLV

Post by MLV »

Tried it several times. Even used 4F once. Never could see any benefit from it.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I have been using 4.5gr of 4fg in my heavy hunting 45/70 loads and have been getting cleaner burning and higher velocity with the heavily compressed 2fg loads ! JAGG
JAGG
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, Board;

I agree with MLV. I have tried duplexing 4f under 2f Goex and Swiss 1 1/2. I did it because I had a friend who was using it and was outshooting me. He kept outshooting me and I figured it was more trouble than it was worth.

Y'all be good.

horsefly
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Tried duplexing 2Fg & 3Fg with 1Fg, on both ends of the load [under the main charge and on top of the main charge. Even went to a 60/ 40 ratio slow to fast powder, and concluded that for the extra weighting the results were no better than straight granulation loads and in some cases worse than straight granulation loads.
Kep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I tried it with a lot of Elephant that barely broke 1000 fps in the .45-70. I went up to 6 gr. 4f GOEX, got acceptable velocities, single digit standard deviation on velocity, and very good accuracy. It's a good way to salvage powder that's too slow for shooting otherwise.

Clarence