Some novice type questions.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bunko Kelly

Some novice type questions.

Post by Bunko Kelly »

Howdy all,

Let me start by saying that I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. I don't own a Shiloh yet, but it looks like I am headed acrossed the pond to play "Peacekeeper", and won't have alot to do with my money. (No I'm not headed to the big sandbox, but it ain't gonna be pleasent either) I think I know what I want but am still deciding on the Caliber. I'm not a hunter, and the oppertunities to shoot BPCR are limited where I live. I really just want one for my own enjoyment and for shooting "Long range" side matches at CAS matches.

I'm stuck between 2 calibers, 45/70 and 45/110. I was wondering what you would suggest. I have fired 45/70, and find it a nice caliber to shoot. I would like to get a 45/110 for longer targets, but here is the rub. I'm not set-up to load Black Powder at this time. I would like to learn to load BP but I'm not sure what type of equipment and investment I am looking at. Can some of you give me some recommendations? Do I get a 45/70 and rebarrel later or can I get Into BP for a minimal Investment and Up grade as I go? Any opinion is welcome.

Respectfully
Bunko Kelly
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

BK,
I would definetly go with the 45-70. Most all of the experts recommend this caliber as a first gun. It has by far the widest range of applications. While it does run out of steam a bit at 800yds or so you're still not handicapped much with this caliber at long range. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Quigley has been won by a 45-70 more than all the other calibers combined and this match is shot out to over 800yds. You can get smokeless factory ammo for a 45-70 but not for the 110. If you do much shooting you really will want to handload and go the blackpowder route however. This(BP) is where these guns shine both in the fun AND accuracy dept. Since you're going to be shooting this gun on a shooting range instead of hunting you may be looking at a long string of shots and your shoulder may be hurting somewhat with a 45-110 also. Nothing wrong with a 110 however, I have a bull-barreled one on order with Shiloh and looking forward to getting this gun. Good luck across the pond!
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Bunko,

Isn't this a great country and a great forum or what? Here you can get a rebel and a yankee to agree on something!! Hard to believe. :o

I too endorse the .45-70 as a fine beginning cartridge for the...fine beginner. I would also recommend that you seriously consider loading with BP. The cartridges chambered in the originals and recreations of the buffalo era rifles were designed around BP. Particularly if you consider the .45-110, you should really load BP. There's just too much empty space with a smokeless load for consistent shooting. If you are hesitant to test the waters with BP, there are many very experienced shooters here who can offer sage counsel. Why, I'd even offer to throw in my 2 cents worth as it wouldn't debit my mental account, much.

The .45-70 will do anything you ask of it for the CAS longer range side matches. I think the .45-110 is a magnificent hunting round, as many of the late buffalo runners would attest, and seems to have great promise as, perhaps, the round to beat for LR work. Getting into loading BP won't require a great investment, particularly if you reload now. A Lyman 55 powder measure may be all the extra you need. Good luck, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

My vote is for the .45-90 it's best it's for both worlds.

Kurt
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Bunko,

You can actually get into loading black powder very reasonably, and then as you get more and more into it (which you will) you can add to your equipment to suite yourself.

But for bare minimum a press, a set of dies (I personally like Lyman dies, others have their favorites) INCLUDING A COMPRESSION DIE, a drop tube of 24 to 34 inches (Cabelas has a nice inexpensive 24" drop tube, it's what I use) a set of Lee dippers (even after you get a good powder measuer and a good scale these Lee powder measure dippers are always handy to have around), and some real gunpowder (black powder). I personally do not care for the substitute black powders, but once again, that is a personal quirk on my part. A lot of people like the substitutes and use them quite successfully. Since real gunpowder is easily available (I buy it by the case and have it shipped to me) I see no reason not to use it. I consider it the best.

In other words, you wont need to take out a second mortgage on the ol' homestead to get into reloading with black powder. Especially if you are already into reloading with that new fangled smokeless powder fad that will eventually fade away, as all fads do in time. :lol: :wink:
Lee Stone
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Bunko K

Don't be too concerned when someone says the 45-70 runs out of steam at 800. I get 1260 fps with a 540 bullet with black powder only loads and shoots very good at 1000 yards.

Like Lead Pot, my vote goes to the 45-90, it will do everything the 45-110 will do and cost less.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Bunko,

One additional note. I also have a Shiloh Hartford in .45/90 on order.
Lee Stone
Dan

Post by Dan »

I guess I have a defective rifle as I'm able to hit steel gongs & buffalos with my 45-70 at 400, 600, 900 and 1000 yards on a regular basis. I actually have more consistant hits at the 900 & 1000 yards than I do at 400. The rifle will hit steel at all the distances up to 1000 as long as I do my job. So, if my 45-70 is running out of steam beyond 800 yards I sure hope you guys don't tell it otherwise. Because as long as it doesn't know any differently it will keep making those 900 and 1000 yard steel targets sing!
Bunko Kelly

Post by Bunko Kelly »

Howdy all

I'd like to say thanks for the advice, and sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had to go out of town and did have time. I think I mught go the 45/70 route but won't be ordering til the spring so who knows what my brain may hatch by that time. Thanks again

Respectfully
Bunko Kelly