Paul Jones .45 cal. Government Bullet

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

Paul Jones .45 cal. Government Bullet

Post by Nick B »

Anybody shooting one of the Jones 500 grn. round nose government style 45 bullets? I like the looks of the big grease grooves but wonder if it gets hard to chamber after a few shots like the Lyman 500 gov. does. TIA, Nick
rdnck

Hard chambering

Post by rdnck »

Nick--You shouldn't have trouble chambering the 500 grain Lyman bullet if you have a good, balanced load and use your blow tube properly. I suspect that there is some issue with the way your ammo is loaded that is causing the problem, or the way you are running the gun, and not the design of the bullet. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Radar

Post by Radar »

I am using the Jones 465gr Gov't. in my 45-70 and have extremely good accuracy with it. I shoot in Silhouette matches twice a month and have gotten good scores(if I do my part) using the 465gr bullet. If you have a Shiloh rifle, order the bullet with a .458 groove dia. and a .449-.448 nose dia. In the past, I have experienced difficulties chambering rounds during a match as you have mentioned. What I discovered in my rifle is that I was seating the bullet too far into the lands and the least bit of fouling ahead of the chamber would restrict the bullet. I now seat my bullets no farther than .010 into the rifling and have not noticed this problem in quite a while(knock on wood). Try seating your bullets .005 - .010 into the lands and if that does not help you may have a load that is fouling at the chamber.
Good Luck,
Radar