MVA #107 Long Range sight.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

MVA #107 Long Range sight.

Post by pete »

Due to the weight of my Shiloh #3 (11 lb 13 1/2 oz) and my desire to keep my rifle as close as is practically possible to the frontier/buffalo hunter's in style while still having some competitive ability I would like to use the MVA #107 Long Range sight. I know most of the 1870's hunters used sights without windage adj but the #107 is lighter in weight and closer in style for what I want than the Soule style while still allowing some windage adj for competition.
I know pretty much everybody uses the Soule style but was wondering if anybody uses a #107 or similar style/brand for silhouette with maybe a little long range thrown in. I called MVA awhile back and they told me the weights of the various sights but dumb &*% me I lost them. I do remeber the 107 barely made weight while the Soule was over. Thanks.
kevin harris

107 sight style

Post by kevin harris »

Pete,

I think I understand where you are comming from. I used for the past 1.5 years the LR sight by Axtel. I just recently bought the buffalo soule from MVA, for the simple reason for competion where the wind hardly stops you will end up holding off target when you max out your windage. The past two matches that I attended at the Wasserberger Memorial Shoot I ran out, match results; hummble pie, and re fireformed brass. I'll be back again this year for another try.
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Pete,
I use the 108 MVA - it is the mid range, an few grains lighter than the 107, much easier to clean with, and it will reach out to 500 meters easily (1000 yds, I really don't know but it would be just enough according to my calculations).

For windage, the sights are a bit difficult in my opinion, so two of my three MVAs have been modified with a horizontal vernier scale. This takes an accomplished machinist but it is doable. The guy that did my two, was, I believe, Kevin someone or other. Haven't seen him on the net in ages though.

I have BEGGED MVA to do this as original manufacture, but they don't even respond to my request. Oh well, the best sight could be better still, but not enough competition in this type of sight I guess.

Drill a hole under the butt plate if you come out a few grains too heavy.

Brent
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys; kevin; Yea I figured the windage could run out at the long range matches. That's definately something to consider. Being a western history nut can be a pain when it comes to trying to use equipment similar to the stuff the frontiersmen/ buff hunters used.
Brent; I thought about the midrange but MVA told me they only guarantee the midrange to something like 700 yds I think, so I'll get the long range to be safe. I work at a place that has several machinists so your idea of the horizontal vernier could be an option. That's a good idea too. Maybe MVA doesn't want to do it for 19th century style purposes or something. But you'd think they would get back with you. I thought about the hole under the butt plate thing but it fits so nice I don't want to take a chance of messing it up if it doesn't go back exactly the same. Believe it or not I have a habit of having bad luck like that. If it doesn't make weight and I get desperate I might do it anyway.