POTENTIALLY EXCITING FIND!

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bill Goodman

POTENTIALLY EXCITING FIND!

Post by Bill Goodman »

Regarding Todd's recent posting on the use of wads etc., I was researching different BP lubes when I came across a lengthy article written by a guy who had been shooting Cap and Ball revolvers for 30 years. He went on in detail about the subject with regard to lubes and wads. He stated he used pure wool wads cut from 3/16" weather stripping soaked in a melted lube containing 2 parts mutton tallow (avail. from Dixie Gun Works), 2 parts canning paraffin (from grocery store) and 1 part bees wax. He seated these over the powder before seating the ball in each chamber of the revolver. He stated he didn't need any over the ball lube with this method and that the wads moistened and scraped the bore on each shot. According to this guy, he could shoot many, many cylinders full without cleaning the bore. So I'm thinking, if this is working in his revolver, wouldn't it work in a perc. Sharps chamber? I'm getting excellent accuracy in both my .38 and .50 caliber sporters with SPG lubed slugs and loose Swiss powder (1.25" five shot groups at 100 yards) so I don't know how much better I can hope for using this method, but it might keep the bore cleaner for extended shooting. Worth lookihng into.
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

John, I found the canning paraffin in a couple grocery stores here in Bozeman, Montana. I guess it depends on where you are in the U.S. Nice target. I'm ready to mix the lube and give it a try. I have a Remington Revolving Rifle, .44 perc. (replica) I'm looking forward to trying as well as in the Sharps 1863.
Todd Birch

BP lubes

Post by Todd Birch »

I'm amazed at the number of BP lubes out there .....
Paul Matthews offers one in his book "Forty Years With the 45-70". Haven't tried it yet.

I've made up a concoction using beeswax, olive oil, Murphy's Oil Soap. A bit stiff, but fine for cap & ball revolvers. I've heated it a bit to lube patches as well. Other than that, I use SPG in for my BPCRs, but I may try some of the recommended recipes.

I recall using wads in my .44 cap & ballers with no great improvement in accuracy. I called recall if fouling was reduced. Time to go back to the drawing board .... I'm so much smarter and wiser now than then ;>)
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

John, thanks for the reply/info. I notice in the 1863 Shilohs that after a few breech seated bullets are fired, fouling in the chamber makes breech seating more and more difficult. At the range I just use a short rod with a damp patch to run into the chamber before seating the next bullet- this is especially so in the smaller .38 cal. chamber. I'm wondering if seating a lube soaked felt wad behind the breech seated bullet will help with this situation.
Todd Birch

wads in chamber

Post by Todd Birch »

Bill

Only way you're gonna find out is to try it with some lubed wads behind the bullet ....

If they are a tight fit, breech seating the wads will have a cleaning effect.
Like I mentioned, 24 ga are SNUG in a clean .54 chamber. They may not go into a dirty chamber.

I just bought some Lyman 515141 .50s cast out of wheel weights. I've loaded them with 28/5744 for my 50-70 and will be trying some with my .50 '63s. I'm hoping they won't be too hard to obturate.

Anyone got experience with ww bullets and BP?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"