Anomaly in brass!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Anomaly in brass!

Post by RMulhern »

This afternoon I had two brands of brass for my .45/90 that I was checking out; had Starline and some "stretched" R-P brass from Buffalo Arms. I weighed enough of each to find that Starline averaged, on this particular Lot....5 grains over the R-P brass. When I weighed out 90 grs. Goex 2F and dropped it through a 24" droptube into the R-P stuff...the top of the powder would settle out on an average of 0.235" below the mouth of the case. Conversely...the same charge of 90 grs. when sent into the Starline brass.....settled out even with the top of those cases! I don't have much of this Starline brass and I'm not saying that it's bad. But....I think I'd prefer the stretched brass from Buffalo Arms after this little check!

What say you?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Sharpsman, it is a pretty well known fact that Starline Brass is much thicker and will accept less powder than a number of other mfg's brass. Does this mean that Starline is not as good? NO! It just means that it won't hold as much powder as Win, R-P, or ? I use Starline and R-P and Win and some stretched brass, and they all work well, within their limitations. See how it shoots before making up your mind. :wink: Randy
Randy Ruwe