Spotting Scope eyepieces......

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Spotting Scope eyepieces......

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

OK, I know all the good shooters that post about spotting scopes prefer KOWA. I am looking at them and I believe ya'll when you say they are the best. Question is, will I be happy with a 600 series and a 27 power eyepiece? Or, will I need to buy the 660 series with the same eyepiece? Anyhow, Any advice is appreciated and needed, also for you beginners like me a year ago(I'm still a newbie)don't waste your money on a cheap scope, nothing more frustrating than setting up a scope and not being able to see a bullet hole from 300 yards on paper. My 2 cents, Barvid Dayfield :shock:
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I have a K-611 with 27X LER eyepiece and really like it. I don't know what the 66mm model would add. Seeing bullet holes at 300 is a challenge for any scope, I cannot count on it with mine or my mentor's 82mm Kowa.
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Dearhunts,
I have used an 82 mm Kowa for some years. My son has a 60 mm he uses for highpower and has been very happy with it. The big advantage I see in the 66 is it's mount, which is like the 82 mount. It allows you to rotate the scope within the mount friction ring. This makes adjusting to prone postion much easier. Whichever scope you buy, all you need is the 27 power eyepiece.
Regards, LJ
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

[quote="LJBass"]Dearhunts,
I have used an 82 mm Kowa for some years. My son has a 60 mm he uses for highpower and has been very happy with it. The big advantage I see in the 66 is it's mount, which is like the 82 mount. It allows you to rotate the scope within the mount friction ring. This makes adjusting to prone postion much easier. Whichever scope you buy, all you need is the 27 power eyepiece.
Regards, LJ[/quote]

Is the 27 power eyepiece enough to see bullet holes in paper at say 500 to 600 yards ? Because of this I'm looking at the Bausch & Lomb Elite 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope with the Fluorite glass. About $625 with shipping.
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Nick,
I don't think you will reap much advantage going with a fluorite objective lens unless you also plan on using the scope for something like birding.
I compared both objective types when I bought mine and could see no difference in light transmission. Someone who has a 20-60 lens will have to comment on how well it works on a regular basis. In the scopes I've looked through that had them, they seemed dimmer than my single power eyepiece. Mirage can also become a real bear at distance as you increase the power in the adjustable lenses. I have found it possible in the right light conditions with the right background to see 40 caliber holes at 500 yds with a single power 25 or 27 power eyepiece. Those conditions don't occur very often. However, almost any scope will allow you to see the spotter and scoring disc on a mid-range target during a match.
Regards, LJ