accuracy in the 2.4 when powder starved?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stan Koslow

accuracy in the 2.4 when powder starved?

Post by Stan Koslow »

Here is the issue. New gun ordered in 2.1. Nothing wrong with that. Still time to change. I forsee 60 % steel and 40% paper, mid and a real want for long range. With that said, don't like recoil when you don't need it for offhand shooting. My question is: is anybody down loading the 2.4 to a velocity range around where the 2.1 lies and still able to retain match grade accuracy? Or do you loose a little when you play this game. I know you will have to stuff but can a longer colum of fill wad still retain a constant and even burn, ( single digit spread). :?: Your bullet seating is set in light of the bbl. I already know I will be sticking with PJ 540 pills. Like that 1300 + for long range. :)
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Stan,
I occasionaly use a 2.4 for a silhouette match. I load it with FG Goex, get very good accuracy and reduced recoil/velocity. I don't have my load book handy but just put enough powder to get about .100/.120 compression. Velocity with Jones Creedmoor is around 1150. I only shoot a couple silhouette matches each year and use a different rifle each time. It depends on what rifle I have rounds loaded for when I get the urge to shoot steel. I've never used any fillers to date so can't help you there.
When I wanted to really slow a load down, I'd use Elephant FG. It's not going to be available much longer, but that stuff was really slow. Like charcoal brickette slow. Frank M.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Stan,

I have shot everything from 76 grs of 2f elephant to 92 grs of Swiss 1.5 in my 2.4s with 525 postell and P jones creedmore. I got decent accuracy with most loads, however, the best loads are with compressing the swiss and yes, there is alittle more recoil, until I started using a recoil over boot. Now any recoil is not problem.

If you want to try some reduced loads, you can get 1/8" wool wads(dry) at www.sagebrushproducts.com . These wads are also over sized and do a great job sealing gases and taking up some space.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Troll

Post by Troll »

I'm new to siloette. Is there a velocity requirement that you have to stay under?
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Hi Guys,
There is no maximum velocity limit for BPCR silhouette. There are minimums for long range target rifle. Silhouette is only a 500 meter sport with, I believe a 12 lbs 2oz maximum rifle weight including sights. If you are a little recoil sensitive a "45-90" or "100" at that weight will give you a pretty good rap. Target rifles have a 15lbs weight limit and are much easier for a recoil sensitive person to handle with one of the larger cases. I learned a long time ago that nobody who shoots in this sport is strong enough to limit themselves to just one rifle. So, you should plan on having at least two from the get go. One to shoot mid-range and silhouette and one to shoot long range. Then, you can add one every year or so just for grins! It's a really bad addiction!
Regards, LJ
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, Stan;

I don't have any experience with reducing a .45-90, but one of the Chadbourne shooters shoots one with a reduced load and a granular plastic filler and does very well with it. It can be done and can work very well.

In fact, for silhouette, I think it is a good idea just to reduce fatigue from recoil.

Y'all be good.

horsefly
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

Thanks you guys. Accuracy is a very subjective word. What is good to one may not get even a get nod from another. I do agree that a rifle is merely a tool with a specified purpose and intent. But beware of the man who shoots one gun! I believe in this strongly and this is why I have pondered the notion of the 90. I was hoping to get some measurements (MOA) that could be expected if you starved it or any other of the two larger cases but wish to thank you all.