Is the 40-70 SS a good round for long range ?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Troll

Is the 40-70 SS a good round for long range ?

Post by Troll »

Is the 40-70 SS a good round for long range? I hear it is a consitent round. What twist and bullet size it is a good long range shooter? :?:
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Troll, it would be beneficial to state what you consider to be 'long range'.
The 40 calibers are said (I'm waiting for mine) to be very reliable and accurate out to 500-600 yards, using bullets in the 400-430 grain weight range, ideally with a 1-16 twist barrel to stabilize the longer, heavier lead bullet. For longer ranges .. out to 1000 yards .. the bigger 45's are reportedly more accurate .. with 525+ grain bullets being less affected by wind drift. Good Shootin!
Troll

Post by Troll »

For 1000 yards?
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Smokin

.40's for long range work

Post by Smokin »

Troll,

There are likely more opinions out there than there are calibers. Personally, I think the .40's are a bit light for 800-1000 yard shooting. That being said, the winner of the fall long range match on the Frozen Tundra won the match with some excellent shooting, using a .40-65, duplexed. If memory serves, his muzzle velocities were in the high 1300's or low 1400's. So, will the .40-70SS work at LR? Probably just fine. Good luck, Smokin

ps, I'm going to stick to a larger caliber only because...I don't know. I just figured it would work better...and then I lost big time to a little caliber. Go figure
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.