40-65

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

6.5Jeffrey

40-65

Post by 6.5Jeffrey »

Well gentleman Im in it now. Just bought a 40-65 Shiloh Sporter.
What performance can I get with smokeless powders and jacketed bullets? Have read the articles about hotrodding the 40-70 bottleneck, can similar treatment be given to the 40-65? Should I think about recutting the chamber to the 40-70Bottleneck?
N2

Post by N2 »

6.5Jeffery - Smokeless powder, jacket bullets, hot rodding? Jeffery, no offense intended, but I think you've missed the point. - Nick
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

Lead bullets should accomplish everything you want with the Shiloh, using smokeless or real powder. The Shiloh's barrel has slightly deeper grooves
than modern barrels that are designed for jacketed bullets. Black powder also works very well in these rifles, attaining accuracy with proper load development, that surprises many. Good luck.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Jeffrey

I also do not want to offend you, but I promise you that when you start shooting black powder and cast bullets you will appreciate "Black Powder Cartridge Rifle" shooting. I have several hi-power rifle and they have their place just like the BPCR's. Anymore BPCR is all the hot rodding I need.
Enjoy.........

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

6.5 Jeff,

A good friend of mine has a Browning Hi-wall in .40/65, and he shoots a 408 gr Creedmore style cast bullet cast from a RCBS mould, and lubes the bullets with SPG. He shoots Accr. 2495 in it, but I don't recall the amount. He typically shoots MOA groups with it out to 200 yards. A very good shooting rifle.

However, a large majority of shooters I hear that are using smokeless in this caliber seem to be using Accr. 5744 with apparently excellent results.

Regards
6.5Jeffrey

Post by 6.5Jeffrey »

I am not talking about extremes.
I do not shoot alot of blackpowder but I do shoot alot of cast bullets. Favorite hunting loads are 45/70 405 Cast Performance gas checks at 2000fps+.
What I am looking for from my 40-65 is 350 grains anywhere between 1500 and 1800fps. Cast Performance does not list 40caliber gc bullets and I dont want to wait 6months for the Beartooth. Thus the jacketed bullets.
Thinking along the lines of MLV article about the 40-70 in Africa. Tend to shoot elk and buffalo and beef more than paper.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Sir, check with Hawk bullets, they have .408 jacketed bullets that work fine. Thanks Kirk
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

6.5Jeffrey,

I have to agree with some of the other comments offered here about getting one of notalgia's finest, a '74 pattern Sharps, and shooting jacketed bullets and smokeless in it. Of course all must listen to their drummer, but these rifles work so well with cast bullets and black powder and with that diet they also sound right. Not wanting to queer a deal for our favorite rifle manufacturer, but are you sure you don't really want a Ruger #1 in .404 Jeffrey? :?: Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

While I do not think that you would userecycled oil, second hand tires and coat hangers for muffler brackets on a Cadillac, I would not put smokless powder and jacketed bullets in the Rolls Royce of firearms. No offense intended, just my point of view.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
MLV

Post by MLV »

Yeah, but MLV says if he had that Africa trip to do all over again, he would take blackpowder/cast bullet loads.
6.5Jeffrey

Post by 6.5Jeffrey »

Id be more than happy to shoot cast if someone can recommend a high quality wide flat nose bullet. I do not cast my own.