BP and sparks

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PowderFlask2

BP and sparks

Post by PowderFlask2 »

I am by no means advocating anyone try the experiments shown on the page below!!!!

However I think you will find the pictures impressive

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexperi ... parks.html
rdnck

Sparks

Post by rdnck »

PowderFlask2--Thanks for putting that link up. Everybody needs to look at that. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Delizar

Very Interesting

Post by Delizar »

The theory stated in the article seems sound as regards the conductivity of Carbon based material.
What suprised me it that the Paper Burn holes mentioned didn't ignite the Powder.

Mark
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

PowderFlask2,

That was one neat post. Thank You!

TL
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

I agree with Delizar, why didn't the burning paper set it off?

I have been cautious with BP and sparks for years and will continue to be but it does make one wonder.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

PoweerFlask2,
Cool website and excellent article. It would be interesting if the experiment went a little further and duplicated BP in a plastic measure hopper (a column of BP in an electrical insulator). I'm also surprised the burning paper didn't start ignition.

Also, click on the 'Return to Experimenters Link' at the bottom of the page and there are also some other interesting experiments on BP detenation caused by not seating the bullet against the BP charge and on lube vs. corrosion.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Powderflask, I would be interested in whether or not you did anything with the little cloud of dust that comes up when pouring powder into the powder hopper. As pointed out on the BPCR site an explosion in a grain elevator is started in the dust, not the grain. I don't even know if the settled dust would ignite, but I am interested to see if the dust while it is in cloud form like in the hopper would ignite from a static discharge. I think that would be a more significant test. :) Randy
Randy Ruwe