63 nipple

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
emito condito

63 nipple

Post by emito condito »

Anyone know the correct diameter of a 63 Farmingdale Shiloh Nipple hole (not threads) should be.

Thanks

Emmett
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Emmett,
Why do you ask? Do you want the diameter of the ignition hole at the base of the nipple? Or do you want the type nipple the gun takes?
Rich
emito condito

Nipple flash hole diameter

Post by emito condito »

Rich,

I should have made it clearer. I was looking for the hole diameter. However, I packecd the whole sideplate with the nipple and sent it back to Kirk at Shiloh. My original problem was the trigger pull was only 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. I suspected a weak spring coupled with the fact the rifle would re-cock itself to the safety notch when fired with 55-60 grain loads. A forum member asked about the flash hole diameter. Kirk received the side plate along with the nipple. He confirmed the nipple appeared to be drilled out. The light trigger was due to someone modifying the sear engagement angles, the spring is fine. I purchashed the rifle from a fellow in New York a couple years ago. He did advise me the original owner only used it in re-enactments. Maybe the larger flashole helps with ignition and doesn't cause an issue when firing blanks. I really don't know, just guessing. Anyway the parts are at Shiloh being put back into spec thanks to Kirk and the gang.

Thanks

Emmett
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Emmett, good to hear gun will be OK.
Rich
James R. Parrish

Post by James R. Parrish »

Where do you get replacement nipples for a Farmingdale Shiloh percussion Sharps and how many should I have? Will my musket nipples for a original 1853 Enfield work? I have been a user of Ampco nipples on most of my percussion guns.
I closed my shop but I still have some musket cappers from Navy Arms years ago. New old stock. The steel "fingers" needs cleaning and the brass could stand polish if you want it to look new. Dixie has one that looks the same for $19.95 plus $8.95 shipping and handling. Send me $18.00 and I'll try to ship postage paid US Post Office delevery.
Thank you,
James R. Parrish (512) 351-0959
182 Stubbs Road
Johnson City, TX 78636
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

We have the replacement nipples.
Todd Birch

nipple threads

Post by Todd Birch »

James

The threads on your '53 Enfield will not be compatible with those of your '63. I don't recall the specs, but I keep a couple in both US and British thread on hand.

Those for the Parker-Hale repro Enfields ought to fit your original since all other parts are similar. Call BACO or Dixie and they will have what you need.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"