Finally got to shoot

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BWoos

Finally got to shoot

Post by BWoos »

I finally got to shoot my 45-70 today. First shots with a BPC and first time reloading and bullet casting for it. The groups weren't the best and the ES wasn't either but it was probably the most fun I've had shooting so far. I think I've been biten. The best group was 7 out of 10 at 2.25 vert. by 1.75 horizontal @ 100yds. ES was 27.4 and SD was 7.5 and average velocity was 1025 fps on the best 10. I shot 4 ten shot groups.

My load was lymn 457125 520gr. 1 to 30 alloy, 60grs. Goex 2f cci 200 and 250 primers, and starline brass. I cleaned after every 10 shot group and fired one fouling shot before each group. I'm not too worried about the groups and inconsistancy at this time because it will get better the more I experiment. I'm just glad I finally got to shoot. :D

Brian

Oh yeah, I learned one thing, Don't forget to inhale before you put your mouth on the blow tube on the first puff :oops: that BP doen't taste very good. :lol:
Omak Cowboy

shoots

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Well Brian. you are way ahead of me on this as I have been looking at my gun since summer but not been able to get out yet.

Playing around I seem to be able to get about 70 grains of BP in my cases. Course I'm almost certainly doing it wrong somehow as like you I have not loaded bp before.
God only knows if I'll be able to hit something. :lol:
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

BWoos,

Not a bad start, not at all. You need to get that target a little further away and that new Sharps will really start to shine. One suggestion you may want to try, for some damn reason some of these rifles like a little heat before they settle down and really get to shooting. You may want to get 3 or 4 shots down the barrel befor you shot for group size, it just may help a little. Good luck and think distance.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

BWoos,

I've been shooting Swiss for awhile now and 70 grs of Swiss 1.5 has been getting good results in the 45-70. I have heard that the guys shooting Goex are doing real well compressing .300 -350". My guess is if you start working up the powder you'll close the group which isn't too bad for starters.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
rdnck

First time out

Post by rdnck »

BWoos--Go to 67 grains of Goex 2f with your next trip to the range. You will need a compression die to compress this amount of powder, as you will distort the bullet if you try to use the bullet to compress the powder as the bullet is seated.

The 457125 bullet will shoot its best somewhere between 67 and 70 grains of Goex 2f. I would also change primers. If you have to use CCI, the BR2 is the only one I have had any luck with. Otherwise, try the standard, not magnum WLR and/or the Fedreal 210. Shoot straight, rdnck.
BWoos

Post by BWoos »

I loaded 30 more rounds Sat. night 3 sets of 10 with different primers and 62gr. of Goex ffg I seated the bullet to touch the lands so one grease groove was showing and the bullet seated firmly on the wad but very little compression. My best group @ 100yds 1.5 by 1.75 best 7 out of 10 the other 3 opening it out to about 3". The ES and SD were about the same as the day before. I ordered a compression die this morning from BA. The best group was with a WLRM primer. My 40 acre place is mostly up and down with alot of Timber so I don't have the luxury of going to 200yds as of yet. I'm going to have to pour some more bullets in the next couple days. :D

Brian
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Bwoos,

Just my 02 cents worth, but you be doing good! And with this forum, you cant loose. Im coming up on a year now with my #1 45-70 and BCPR. Followed the advise of many here, Rdnck's receipt for some good loads, others advise on casting, powder, compression etc. And Gunny's tip on moving back a bit.
Immediately felt more comfortable @ 200yds +. Things started falling into place, like getting consistent (very nice groups). Granted hitting a 12" gong is no big deal, but when you hit it everytime, and start to see patterns with loads, conditions etc. its pretty damn neat.

Personally, I don't think you can tell much with a new Shiloh Sharps @ 100 yds, just confuses you. And if this is all new, you got too many variables in you head and the results might not be what others attest to. Im continuing to read the advise here and heading out next to the 300 and 500 yd marks. Stay tuned.

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!