Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi folks, Shot my 54 cal 1863 sporter again today. 100 & 200 yards. guess it wasn't too great a day. Hit the target every shot, but groups weren't as good as last time. Could eyes be getting old? Kind of doubt they could be much older. Used Charlie's tubes as usual along with Rapine ringtail & Steve Brooks "Charlie Hahn" bullet. Had I been hunting, would have really scored. Twas a great time, only problem is, the time cleaning the old girl.
Jay Y.
Free_Stater

The battle sight...

Post by Free_Stater »

Have you tried that itty bitty notch on the sight when the ladder is down? I can barely see it, which means groups of 6" at 50 yards. I swear, someone sprayed that notch with invisibility serum or something. The ladder has a much more easily accessed notch.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

My 1863 is a #3 Sporter in .54 caliber. I use a Steve Baldwin short range Soule Sight & a Shiloh Globe Front. Have had good luck & groups when I do my part. Guess I'm getting to be an "I remember when". Jay Y.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Oh, you have the purty 1863 instead of the military. I expect that the better sights make all the difference in the world.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Todd Birch

Huh? Whoa, there ....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey! I've got both a .54 Sporter and a Miitary Rifle in .50, and the MR makes the Sporter looks pretty plain by comparison.

Pretty is as pretty does, and it's in the eye of the beholder.

What does a Brook's 'Charlie Hahn' bullet look like?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Jay Yuskaitis

Charlie Hahn Design Bullet

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

The best verbal description of Charlies design is similar in shape to an original 44/40 bullet. Charlie's has a ringtail to fit into his "tubes". Weighs 504 grs. 30-1. Very accurate when I do my part. Jay Y.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

EMAILL ME AND i WILL SEND A PHOTO OF IT. OR AT LEAST THE ONE i HAD STEVE MAKE FOR ME IT IS HIS FLAT BASE W/ MOD TO FIT CHARLIES TUBES.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
stuebben

Post by stuebben »

At http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html, there is a .540 bullet bullet #385 described as "Ch Tube." Perhaps this is it?
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi, Couldn't hook up with that site. Jay