Want to get a 45/110 First Post

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KHR

Want to get a 45/110 First Post

Post by KHR »

Hi All,
Greetings from central Texas! I've been lurking for a while and must say that this board has been fantastic, I've learned a lot. Cut my group sizes fron 8" to about 2-2.5" at 100 yrds.

I have an original sporter in 45 2 7/8 it is about 10.5 - 11 lbs and is a stout shooter. I am interested in obtaining a #3 sporter 14lb heavy barrel with many of the enhancements such as extra fancy wood. I know that several posters have the 2 7/8 with the 14lb barrel. So can I get some advice from these experts?

My question is what can the recoil compared to, ie 45-70 40-70ss, etc. My original has the military butplate so I want the same on this gun. I want a gun that will make weight for long range yet not be punishing, I don't care too much for the recoil of my original.

Thanks,
Keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
rdnck

45-110

Post by rdnck »

KHR--When you get another 45-110, get one in the 13 to 14 pound range. 13 pounds would be the minimum I would want. I can understand you wanting a military buttplate because of the connection to your original rifle. However, I simply would not do it. By all means, get the shotgun buttplate in this caliber. Recoil is significantly more than a 45-70 with 70 grains of 2f and a 530 grain bullet. The military buttplate will bite you in this caliber, plain and simple. Shoot straight, rdnck.
KHR

Post by KHR »

rdnck,
thanks for your advice, a followup thought, how does recoil in a 14lb 45/110 compare with a 45/70? In other words go as heavy as possible but still make weight for long-range, yet what would the recoil be like, I know this is a really subjective question.

We seem to have a bunch of Texas posters would be fun to visit at some state meet if there is such an animal.

thanks again,
Keith
Molon Labe
rdnck

Recoil

Post by rdnck »

KHR--I formerly owned a 13 pound Pedersoli 45-110 with a shotgun buttplate. It kicked a lot harder than my 12 pound Shiloh 45-70, also with a shotgun buttplate. 60 rounds from the 13 pound gun prone was not something that I would consider to be in the realm of recreational shooting.

Yesterday I ran 50 rounds through my 14 1/2 pound Shiloh 45-110, along with 75 rounds through my Shiloh 45-70 silhouette gun, fireforming cases. I shot both rifles prone, and both have shotgun buttplates. Recoil and its after effects were not uncomfortable even after 125 rounds in about 2 1/2 hours from these two rifles. The 45-110 does have SIGNIFICANTLY more recoil than the 45-70.

Bottom line is that I think that the 45-110 is the one cartridge I personally wouldn't want to be without. THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTOM LINE is that I wouldn't want one that weighed less than 13 pounds, and wouldn't have one with a military buttplate of any weight if I had to shoot it on a regular basis as a primary rifle. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Hey Rdnk: What style of barrel do you need to get into the 141/2 lb range ? Nick
rdnck

14 1/2 pound rifle

Post by rdnck »

Nick B--I have been doing some soul searching and thinking about this weight/practicality thing. I'm going to ramble a little here, and let you get into my head and my experience bank about this.

It's not just about weight. It's about weight and BALANCE. Where the weight is carried, or more correctly, where the center of gravity of the rifle lies. The 13 pound Pedersoli I had until recently had a 34 inch barrel. Try as I might, I could not hold the rifle still enough to shoot it offhand. That weight, coupled with the barrel length simply had enough leverage way out there that was hard to deal with. I also have a custom 62 caliber Hawken that I have had for over 20 years that weighs 13 1/2 pounds, and it hangs beautifully, even though it has a 35 inch barrel. The difference is because the Hawken does not have a receiver, the barrel and weight of the rifle sets more to the rear, and more of the weight is between your hands, not way out in front of you.

My 14 1/2 pound Shiloh has a standard 30 inch bull barrel. It is 1.290 at the muzzle, and 1.320 at the breech. This rifle is very well balanced, and is easy to carry. It is also very steady offhand.

Don't think I am popping off about carrying this rifle and shooting it offhand. The body will adapt itself to whatever loads it is required to carry, within reason. I believe that an average man, in good health can carry and shoot this weight of rifle if he shoots it to the exclusion of lighter rifles. Look at the photo of Jesse Hendricks in Seller's book. Hendricks is a small man, no larger than 5'6"", maybe as short as 5'4". Yet he has a 14 to 16 pound rifle in his hands. He carried it, and he shot it as required. The more I carry my 14 1/2 pound rifle and shoot it, the better it feels, and the weight seems to disappear. In fact, my 12 pound silhouette rifles now feel too light to hold well offhand.

Recoil is an issue, to be sure. Rifle weight tames recoil and makes the rifle easier to shoot. I believe that I have the perfect cartridge in the 45-110 and the perfect rifle to shoot it in my 30 inch barreled 14 1/2 pound Shiloh. It is a perfect blend of power and weight, and I believe this to the extent that I have another 45-110 on order from Shiloh. It is a Number 3 Sporter and will have a 30 inch bull barrel, weigh about 14 1/2 pounds, and have a shotgun buttplate. I intend to shoot it--a lot. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Rdnk: Interesting reply. So to sum it up your rifle has the 30' bull barrel that is a $600 option ? I sold off two Shiloh's that had 34'' heavy barrels for the same reason you said,they didn't balance worth a hoot. Nick
rdnck

Bull barrel

Post by rdnck »

Nick B--That is correct. My silhouette Shiloh 45-70s also have 30 inch barrels, but they are the Number 1 Heavy configuration rather than the bull barrel. This is to enable them to make the 12 pound two ounce weight requirement of the NRA.

The 45-110 I have on order also has the 30 inch bull barrel which will bring the rifle in at 14 pounds or so.

I was fireforming cases in both the 45-70 and the 45-110 again today, and the more I shoot this big gun, the more I appreciate what it is and how it works. I ran 50 rounds through the 45-70, and 46 through the 45-110. The 45-70 is a great rifle, but there is really something special about this 45-110. Shoot straight, rdnck.
KHR

Post by KHR »

rdnck,

thanks so much for your informative posts, I was trying to get in on the present run of bull barrels, but will wait and do some more research and thinkin'.

I looked at the Sellers book and almost all of the the 45/110s had shotgun butts, opened my eyes!

thanks again,
:-)
keith
Molon Labe
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Rdnck,

A little off subject, but as a point of interest on my part at least could you tell us something about your .62 cal custom Hawken? I would be interested in knowing such things as dimensions of your rifle, ignition, loads, performance and generally anything you feel might be of interest to other black powder shooters.

I have been an avid muzzleloader shooter for 30 years (I have been called psycho and some uncomplimentary names, too), and I always have an interest in a first rate front stuffer owned by someone else.

Regards
reloader4410

Post by reloader4410 »

Get a rieckins shooters friend recoil pad. I can shoot my 45/120 all day long cabellas has them about $20. A friend of my father in-law was going to sell a 7mm mag until he shot it with this pad know he is very happy with this gun.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

reloader4410,

You are right , that pad is ugly personified but works better than any thing on the market. I've just about worn mine out (3 yrs) gota get another. Or maybe two!

Tl
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

KHR
I can't comment on the .45-2-7/8, but I do have a 30 inch, 14 pound .45-2.6. That extra weight sure reduces felt recoil. The 14 pound 2.6 kicks less than my 12 pound 45-2.1 with the same bullet weight. Besides the "cool-factor" of a 14 pound Sharps at the local range is interesting. The typical comment when I pull the Sharps out of it case is" Cheese-n-Crust, what the h**l is that? I just grin from ear to ear, and give them a short history lesson on Sharps and buffalo hunting. You meet lots of new friends that way. And for me personally, nothing feel so right as my heavy Sharps sitting on crossed sticks, booming away at distant targets. Sort of like a time machine to 1873. Best way to chill-out after work on the planet.
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger