54 Cal. percussion question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dschaidt

54 Cal. percussion question

Post by dschaidt »

Hi, I've been introduced to the Sharps type rifles having recently purchased a 54 Cal percussion rifle from a friend who was in a tight spot financially. My research since has revealed that the rifle I purchased, an IAB Cardone, is considered one of the lesser quality rifles, but a good place to start none the less. Thus far, I find all of the information extremely interesting. Although I've been hunting with muzzleloaders off and on for the past 30 years and have a rather extensive collection of rifles and shotguns, I'am quite surprised that I practically know nothing about these rifles. I have a feeling that a 45-70 will be in my future.

Anyway, here is my question that I hope you can help me with. How do I load the damn thing? There is very little on the web about loading this animal. I've found a sight regarding the construction of paper cartridges, but thats about it. Someone also mentioned to me that they thought a plastic type of cartridge is available for these rifles. If so, do you know who makes them? Thanks for any additional information you can offer . Dan
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

These rifles can be loaded 3 ways...Use a christmas tree type bullet. They are slightly tapered.
1. With the paper cartridge attached to the bullet and powder in the Cartridge.
2. Breech seat the bullet, pour the chamber full of powder, close the breech, prime and fire. Be certain to have all of the loose powder out of the action.
3. leave the action closed and load as you would with a muzzleloader.

The problems you may and probably will encounter....Fouling buildup in the action causing it to be very difficult to open. solution... keep the action well lubricated with bore butter or something similiar If the action does freeze up due to fouling, pour water into it to clear it out.

I have had a couple of the IAB (It Always Breaks) rifles and the last was a gift from my wife. an 1863 sporting rifle in .54 cal. Sent it back to store. the bore was 1/8" off center to the left, screw missing from rear sight, and the list goes on.

Mine may be the exception and for your sake I hope it is, but both have been poor quality.

Good luck to you

Trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Chris

Post by Chris »

G'Day fellas, I've been shooting a .54cal model 1863 for a number of years now by loose loading using the christmas tree type slug. I went for this option because i could not get any shooting consistancy due to the varying amount of powder lost when closing the action and cutting off the back of the paper cart.
I've found the following to be quite successful. Dry clean the bore and fire a couple of top hat caps to get rid of any moisture, load the slug through the breach with a dowel or loading rod until it clicks into position within the rifleing, add the powder behind the slug, (I use 70gr FF, premeasured and kept in "lipease" containers, they hold 80-90 gr), close the breach carefully so not to loose any powder, add a percussion cap and fire the thing. Its a bloody dirty business and slow but great fun and always attracts attention. By the way i also clean the bore after each shot, helps with consistancy. (I generally shoot 100-200 metres but occasionally offhand to 500 metres, don't always hit the target at that range but sure scares them) hope this gives you some ideas ....Chris:D
Currently shoot a .54 cal Model 1863 Percussion Breechloader number 1350
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I have a 54 cal sharps in Model 74 32" barrel. Like Chris I tried the paper cartridge and got terrible accuracy. What works best is breech seat the tapered bullet with a ball starter and over fill with powder. Be sure to clear away excess powder or you'll burn your eyebrows.
I shot this at Quigley about 6 or 7 years ago with a $29 rear sight and shot 9 hits with 1 on the 800 buff. I was happy with the score, I hit every target.
They are a hoot the shoot.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

In the competition I shoot in, we are required to either use paper cartridges attached to the rear of the bullet or use a plastic tube, closed at one end then loaded with powder and pushed onto the tail of the bullet to seal it. When loading, the bullet, with tube attached, is pushed into the chamber and onto the rifling. Then, twist the tube to free the bullet and let the powder fall into the chamber. Close the breech, cap and fire.

I like the paper cartridge best because as I push the cartridge into the breech, the bullet hits the rifling and I can compress the powder in the paper cartridge a slight amount with my finger. The cartridge is slightly shorter then the chamber so that when the breech os closed, the end of the cartridge is up against the breech block but no powder is spilled. I seal the end of the cartridge with cigarette or hair curler paper. The cap will send the ignition flame right through the paper at the end. With this type of load, you should be able to fire at least 12 to 15 rounds without needing to clean the chamber or the face of the breech.