where to shoot a buffalo

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

Thanks for the replies everyone. This will in no way be a hunt. Just four of us went together and bought a buffalo. Anyway, it will be shot with a Shiloh #3, .45X2.1", 525 gr. paper patch bullet, 71 gr. of 1 1/2 F Swiss. I will post on the rounds performance in a few weeks. Incidently, the range is close because it will be shot in the ranchers corral.

Paul
Swany

Post by Swany »

I believe if I were going to shoot a Buffalo, I would consider it in the dangerous game catagory. I have never shot or killed a Buffalo, but have killed bear and mountain lion and have been pressent when a 1000 lb. moose was put down. I was told along time ago by an outfitter up in the central Idaho Locksaw area, that when shooting dangerous game, that can out run you, take shoulder shots and break down their running gear. Not having the ability or luck to always put a shot in a small spot as behind the ear of an enraged charging 2000 lb. Buffalo, I think a front shoulder or the upper leg just below the shoulder would be a better target. I know first hand it works on bears, the first broke shoulder may only slow them down but the second pertty much stops them. To me finishing one off laying on the ground is better than trying to finish one off while he's stomping a mud hole on top of you.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

When they say shoot the buffalo right behind the ear, they don't mean 3, or two inches. The buffalo took three rounds. The first two passed under it's spine, one of them did take out a major artery. The third passed through the first cervical vertebre. The 535 gr. bullet broke it in half and dislocated the lower half. The buffalo went down like a switch had been turned off. Unfortunatly, all of the bullets passed completely through and could not be recovered.

Thanks again for everyone who responded to my original post. If you are looking for a place to find a buffalo in central MT, call John Wells at (406)547-2240. He is so thoughtful that he said he would clean up and store my Shiloh in case I should forget to take it along with me.

Paul
RMulhern

Where...to shoot a buffalo?

Post by RMulhern »

Any place you can find one!! :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Go here:

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~lctodd/axial.htm