First 40-65 loads.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Delizar

First 40-65 loads.

Post by Delizar »

Heck first BPCR loads for that matter.

I got home with my new Shiloh two weeks ago and have been assembling loading matterial since. Well I finished the first 10 rnds a few minutes ago.

Lyman Snover #2841576 .409in Length 1.316
Starline 40-65 Brass (new unfired): FL resized, .408in Redding Expander, Trimmed to 2.09”
Goex FFg: drop tubed, .501 f/n uncompressed w/wad in place (50.5 gr. by weight)
Walter Fiber wad .030”: compressed to .64 f/n
Bullet seated to OAL of 2.757: total compression .158

One of my questions:
Should I really be concerned with accuracy with New brass? Or should I wait until if is fire formed and then get serious about load development ?
( I assume that I wait but thought I’d run it by all of you)

Mark
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Delizar, you may be able to determine if the load has some potential, but wait until it is fire formed to make any changes in you load. You may get some blowback on the outside of the cases with the new brass, I know I did. After fire forming the brass dropped from the chamber cleaner and without any sign of blowback. Good Luck, Randy
Randy Ruwe
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Delizar,
Also, after fire forming, the powder charge may have to be increased to get to the same compression. I've had good loads when fireforming and dudes after reloading, until I increased the powder charge. You will also want to experiment with bullets, primers, etc... Any excuse to go to the range. :D
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Delizar

Results

Post by Delizar »

I took out my first 25 rnd. Once I got her sighted in I was hitting a scaled down 200yd pig most of the time. Mostly I was over or under.

Fowling was heavy, Wind was dead on in my face at around 20+mph. (found out what bp smoke tastes like when i went to do my first blow tube, with the wind coming right down the barrel...yummy)

Lube on the store bought Lymans wasn't making it to the end of the barrel, even with 5 good breaths on the tube.

Next outing will be a bit tighter with Paper and spotting scope. I am going to try to up the compression to hopefully reduce the fowling.

Overall.........DANG, that was fun!!

Mark