Front sight question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kevin harris

Front sight question

Post by kevin harris »

I presently own #1 sporter which I shoot matches with until my new rifle arrives. Current front sight is MVA 113, I am trying to decide what to change to for hunting, stanard globe style or beech combo any suggestions :?: :?:
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
fjjensen

Front Sight

Post by fjjensen »

Kevin,
I used an MVA beach front for hunting last fall.Better sight picture at
low light than a globe but not good enuff after sunset.I will be back to using a blade front next season.
Frank
RMulhern

Which sight?

Post by RMulhern »

KH

Slip ya a Lyman Ivory bead in! It'll stand out like a "diamond in a Billy goat's arse!"
Merritt

Post by Merritt »

I've tried the beach combo too and found it too fine at dawn and dusk.
It is excellent when the contrast is high as in winter.

I also think that the standard globes are to tight and fail to provide the sight picture and contrast in poor light that you'll want if your hunting in autum brush.

I use the blade and buckhorn for hunting. But, try your blade in conjunction with a .060 or .070 rear aperature and you'll be amazed at how fast and deadly accurate you are.

Merritt
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I used a Ron Heilman Globe a couple of weeks ago to kill a nice big doe. I used a medium aperture and my Heilman tang with a Hadley eye cup. It was an overcast day and the combo worked fine for me.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
kevin harris

front sight

Post by kevin harris »

Thank you everyone for the insight on the front sight :D . You make decision making easier.
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Well, I guess I'll register a dissenting vote. I have the MVA combination on my Shiloh Hartford and like it. I use the post and it works just fine for general shooting and hunting. Like most iron sights ya do lose some time at dawn and dusk but it works better for me in hunting situations than my MVA globe sight.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]