Bull Barrel vs. Heavy Octagon

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Bull Barrel vs. Heavy Octagon

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kirk:

I spoke with Lucinda this morning, and she mentioned that I should ask you this question.

Black powder shooting competition seems to limit weight at either 12.2 pounds or 15 pounds, depending on the contest.

I am going to put a 50 caliber together for the under 15 pound catagory, as I will already have one under 12.2 pounds. That being said, "What type of barrel would be best suited for this application?"

34 inch Heavy Octagon or 14 pound Bull Barrel?

How does the balence of the rifle change with the different barrels, and what advantages would each of them bring to the rifle?

Can someone order a 15 pound Bull Barrel for this application?

I am needing to make this decision fairly soon, so if a Bull Barrel needs to be ordered I can get it in the que for this upcoming year instead of waiting til 2005.

Thanks for your help,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning Sir, In this cal. I would go with the 14 pound. If we stay in close contact, we can watch the weight closer if you were thinking of adding pewter tips and such. The big thing is to make sure the weight thing is on your order. Hope this Helps. Thanks Kirk
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kirk:

Regarding the weight, does it make it more comfortable to shoot to have the weight back towards the shooter (Bull Barrel) rather than have it further out away from the shooter (Heavy Octagon 34 inch barrel)?

Is the extra 4 inches of sight radius (Heavy Octagon 34 inch barrel) not worth the shift in weight out towards the muzzle?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

From what I've encountered, that 50-90 really don't care where the weight is!!! Serious though, you will get a longer sight radius with a 34", I've really never noticed where it has that much effect on your target. The 34" heavy, with that big hole is only going to weigh in the 12 - 12.5 pound range depending on wood, this is why I though the 14 pound barrel would be a little better. Thanks Kirk
Brian Smith

Bull Barrel & Scope Class

Post by Brian Smith »

I have a similar question as Texas Shooter. Bull barrels and total gun weight. I am interested in the soope class of BPCR competition. My question is will the 14# bull barrel with the MVA scope and Malcolm mounts make weight?
I currently have a LRE with 34" #1 heavy oct., I really want a bull barrel and have one on order now. If the 14# won't make weight, is there another alternative other than the 34" #1 to get as close to the maximum weight as possible?
In addition, any suggestions on finding scope matches in the Michigan region of the country for both Long Range and Scope Class?
Thanks
Brian Smith
Michigan
Brian Smith
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Brian, I assume you are speaking the 15 pound long range limit and if you are I can do it. Thanks Kirk
Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith »

Thanks Kirk:

MVA tells me that the 23" scope, mounts, bases and screws weigh 20.8 ounces. Knowing this and trusting it to be correct, could you describe the configuration of the rifle, barrel length and dimension. I would like to go with the LR Express as the starting point.

Ebony tip, traditional butt plate, and semi-fancy wood, no iron sights at all.

Thanks for you help
Regards
Brian Smith
Brian Smith
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

That is where I would go, a 34" heavy barrel.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Brian,

Since your looking at the LR Express, I will weigh in on this. Thats just what I shoot for LR Competition. A 34 inch #1 heavy barrel, LR Express in 45-110. My rifle weighs in at just under 13 lbs with out the MVA scope on it. It is an excellent choice for Long Range. Caliber of course is up to you.

This is great for the World Historical Matches also as they have a 13 lb weight limit. Something you may some day wish to try.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter