A day at the range with 45/110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rob A.

A day at the range with 45/110

Post by Rob A. »

fHello evryone:
>Was at the range today and installed the sights I recieved with my long range express 34" barrel 45/110. I worked up 2 loads with my recent aquisition of GoexFG FOR A 525 GR. POSTELL and 415gr flat nose for hunting. Loads were as follows ; annealed cases full length resized, trimed to2.865" 525 loaded with 100grs of Fg ,bullet set at .050 off lands.Second load 415 loaded to 102 grs. of same also to .050 off lands.I had previously loaded some loads with 405gr flat points from Buffalo Arms and a load of Pyrodex RS 67.5 grs. to give a full case. It took a while to get on target as I didn't have a spotter, but I did have 2' of snow, so I walked my shots to the paper.I learned today about the difference in black powder and wanabe powder. There is no real comparison, black cleaned up better with less fouling and 3 and 1/2 times more shots between cleanings. The results were not that good I believe the sites I have need to be improved. I have a#104 sporting tang and a#110front post and ball, best group was 12 shots in 6" at 200 yards. But I was very pleased with this,as I learned a little bit more about my Sharps. Run a group through the chronograph of the 415grs. 1480fps at a temperature of 40 Farinheit spread was 5-8 fps. Does anybody have any suggestions on sights, I find the globe pretty well covers the bull at 200 yards.
It was a good day I run through 64 rounds and it was not bad for recoil.I look forward to any suggestions from anybody on the sites or anything else that I may be doing wrong.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Rob,

Congrats for your first outing. Pretty good btw!

I would invest in a MVA or similar front sight. If your into hunting then a Blade front. For Target work you will need a good Quality front sight made for that. The Ball sight is the same that came on my rifle, at the time I got my rifle MVA was just coming out with sights so it took me a while to get some.

Your on to a good start, invest in some better sights, front one first the rear will work well until you decide you need to play with windage.

Good luck,

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
KHR

Post by KHR »

Kenny,
do you have any thoughts on the MVA #108 - Sharps Mid Range site? I'm rebarreling my original Bridgeport with a 40/70 28" heavy barrel. I thought that the #108 would be authentic and also usable for possible competition. I know it doesn't have as much windage as the soule style.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Keith,

The #108 mid range is an excellent sight, I have one on my 38-55. It was a gift from my best friend. They work well and its perfect for my 38-55 as I use it only to 200 yards. While this sight has almost enough Elevation for 1000 yards in alarger caliber its lacking in the windage dept for any thing much over 300-400 yards in my opinion. Perhaps I am just used to shooting in alot of wind? :roll: It will work in 75% of the shooting conditions most folks shoot.

The day you try 500-800 yard stuff and a bit of wind shows up then one wishes they had a soule. I have run out of windage with standard MVA soule at the turkey line ie 423 yards.

The 108 is traditional, along with a MVA windage front and your right where the originals were at and your windage problems are solved.

I have some problems with windage fronts, Tend to turn them the wrong way and this is easy to do in the heat of a match. If you start out with this set up and learn it then it will pose no problem.

It would look best on that old original Bridgeport rifle and be ie Correct!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter