Bullet driving bands

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Outrider

Bullet driving bands

Post by Outrider »

Gentlemen:
Let's say that I were to buy a P. Jones or S. Brooks mould(.45 cal, 540 gr.Creedmore). And let's also say that I order it with the front driving band reduced to .458/.459 to be able to seat the bullet further out of the case (you know, more powder capacity).
My "Q" is when you have a bullet made like this do they tend to shoot well only when seated out near the lands. It would be nice to have the extra powder capacity (.45-70, .45-90) as long as I could have a little flexability in my seating depth.
Mr. Jones told me that Kirk has ordered moulds like this from him, but we all know Kirk is out of town for a bit.
I know the disclaimer "each rifle is diferent". But I want to know if any of you guys have moulds that cast bullets like this, and if so, what your experiences have been.
Thanks much, Outrider.
Remember....We get the government that we deserve.
Bob Bloyer

Post by Bob Bloyer »

Outrider,
I have a Paul Jones 45001 and 45007 both with the top driving band cut to .450 " to use in my Meacham 2.1 " match chamber with no throat to speak of. I shoot both bullets with the 2nd driving band into the rifling ( just touching ) . I had been shooting a PJ 45001 with the top driving band at .458-9 " with good results in my Shiloh but the Meacham would chamber the Starline brass the best and being somewhat capacity challanged, went with the cut down top driving band bullets to gain powder capacity. I haven't had a chance to try the cut top band bullets in the Shiloh yet. I have been using WW brass in the Shiloh. I'm currently in the process of developing a new load with new lots of powder for the Meacham and whenever the snow and ice decides to depart, I'll be able to continue with my testing. Once I get a suitable load for the Meacham, I'm gonna see what I can develop for the Shiloh with the cut down bullets.
The Meacham shot the PJ cut down bullets tollerable good this past season with the lot of 2f Goex I had been using. Bob
Jerry Williams

Outrider

Post by Jerry Williams »

I have the Steve Brooks Version of the 545 gr Creedmore with the top two bands reduced according to his recommendations. I like the bullet and the mold. I do seat them out and into the rifling. It never occured to me to not do this. However, try to obtain a few bullets for testing and try them at your normal seating depth. I don't think you will know for sure until you try it. If you use neck tension you may get away with it. If you are not resizing your cases, then I suspect you will get the best results with the bullets seat out to touch or engage the rifleing. Just my thoughs good luck!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I have been thinking also on these lines in haveing a long heavy bore rider with the bands also cut the same as the nose rider section ! But i would want the nose bore sized with top of lands , and the top 2 bands about .005 over bore size to engrave the top bands for better bullet chamber fit ! This is the way i also paper patch my bullets just slightly over bore size diameter ! Something to think about before the snow melts ! JAGG
JAGG
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Make that .0005 over bore diameter top bands ! Got to go the dollar store for new glasses again ! JAGGl
JAGG