Faster Casting?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bentsight

Faster Casting?

Post by Bentsight »

I stumbled onto this last night and I haven't heard anyone else recommend this method but it sure improved my casting results and time required. I started out last night casting the usual method with the dipper full and the mold turned on it's side, fill the mold then try to pour the same amount of mix on top of the mold each time. Rarely got the same amount poured on top and sometimes end up with a mess spilled over the the entire mold. Now instead of lifting the dipper off the mold and pouring a small amount on top of it. I leave the dipper in contact with the mold for a 7 count then rotate both back to the starting position. This leaves a small plug in the sprue plate that is easilty removed when it is opened. No more varying amounts of mix or messes to clean up and my casting process is much faster. The best result of this method is bullet to bullet consistency. Poured over 70 and they didn't vary more than +/- 2/10 ths. of a grain. I was lucky to get a spread of +/- 2 grains before I started doing it this way. Anyway, if this is "old hat" to the experienced shooters sorry to take up your time. If not I hope it helps others like it has me.

Mike

PS I drilled out the hole in my Lyman dipper to improve flow and I'm using a Steve Brooks mold.
Always tell the truth...That way you never have to remember what you said