Game Meat Myths Expelled

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Post by bobw »

Pete cutting down live trees in the Black Hills is not needed .After the logging outfits are done raping the woods of mature saw logs or doing thinning contracts you need the chainsaw to clear a path thru the stump stickups , deadfalls ,blowdowns, etc. The Black Hills are intensively managed for lumber production with a hell of alot of roads ,skidder trails, and 2 tracks when they get done. The logged off areas for a couple of years offer more browse and attract lots of deer and elk, so that is where you hunt. I live here and don't see many animals coming back to town quartered more often than not, where there is a will there is a way to get to it and get it loaded or drag it downhill to a 2 track. I like hearing how they do things in other places. I still live and hunt here in SD though and do things same as most folks do.
I been to Alaska twice, once in the summer of 1972 when I rode my Honda twin up there ,just to see it and on a job in December of 1979-Jan of 1980 to fix some bottom dump gravel trailers the company I worked for sold to a const outfit at Prudhoe Bay, stayed at Deadhorse Camp. I know Alaska hasn't got shit for roads MD and you float or fly bout near everwhere. Like I said above "If a guy has to cut them up, well that is what you got to do". I spent 2.5 years at IBP in Dakota City, Nebr meatpacking plant so I know all about cutting and lugging. Now for the last 30 years if I have too carry something out on my back its tied to my pack frame and I get it done all busted down to the essentials. I have packed Elk, black bear,mule deer,whitetail and antelope on that frame. I also packed out a couple of whole antelope with a fireman carry and consider it a piss poor way to do it. I will allways have that frame yet these days a 2 wheel cart sure works good when I need it. Soon I'll get me a plastic deer sled also cause it is gonna snow tonite. I ain't worried about all those other big animals I'll never get to hunt anyway. bobw
pete

Post by pete »

Bob, you do know I was just joking?
We used the plastic tobbagan for the deer and antelope again this year and it's much nicer. We pulled the deer about a mile and a quarter.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can put a half (either the front or the back) on one of those plastic tobbogans and come right out as long as you don't have to slide thru a bunch of mud or snow over about 8 inches deep.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

This is a really good thread. My own experience matches most all of what's ben said here. On deer, I have practically lived on them for years, and have never had a bad tasting one. When I've made a mess of them by gutshooting now and then (mostly on running shots or sharp quartering shots) I make it a point to get clean water to wash them out well. I read years ago that you should not do this, as you will spread the bacteria, but I worried about that needlessly as I've never had a problem. I also cannot tell the difference between muleys and whitetails, and have tested myself by throwing away the wrappers without looking, tried to guess and looked at the wrappers later & been about 50% right in my guess. So much for stinkey, sagey mule deer, at least the ones I have shot, most in ND, but some in WY and some in MT.

I also like to have at least one good meal of liver and one of heart when I can get them out without too much extra work, and have many times fed a bunch of guys in deer camps with fresh liver and onions, and here lies another observation: I find that deer liver is way better than beef liver, and muley liver is even better and milder flavored than whitetail liver. About ten years ago, after I fixed a meal of liver on the second night of deer season up in the NW part of the state, and mentioned this to several guys within earshot, one crusty old local rancher said, Yeah everybody around there always knew that, and they always made sure they saved the livers from muleys.
Ken
"When small men begin to cast long shadows the sun is setting" (unknown)