Rifle for hunting North America

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Silverman

Rifle for hunting North America

Post by Steve Silverman »

Dear Sirs,
I would like to hunt deer to buffalo with one rifle. I would like to know what caliber and weight of rifle you recommend. I am planning to shoot a max of 200 yards. Does the 34 inch bbl give any advantage at this yardage? I currently load 45-70. Thanks for your help.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Steve, you will be more than happy with a 45-70 in a 30" barrel. If you go heavy it will weigh around 11 pounds, if you go standard it will weigh around 10 pounds. I shoot a 26" myself. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Steve, I carried my 11lb 9oz sporter #1 all over colorado this last year elk hunting. Believe me, it gets heavy at 11000 feet, especially when you have binocs, water, lunch, raincoat, rangefinder, emergency kit, knives, compass, etc, etc in your backpack. Kirk has offered an excellant recommendation in the short barrel, my next one will be 26" or maybe even 24" barrel in a 50-70 or 50-90. A lot of people besides me thing it is an awsome calliber for anything from rabbits to buff.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Sounds like a standard weight 45-70 would work well for you. Personal opinion is that at 200 yards there is little or no advantage in a 34" barrel and actually may work against you in a hunting rifle that may be called upon to perform quick shots.

My hunting Sharps is a 16 pound 50-90 but I am thinking for an all around rifle my choice would be a 28" round barreled business rifle under 10 pounds in 45-70 or 50-70.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
KHR

Post by KHR »

Steve,
also think about a carbine in either 45/70 0r 50/70, with a hunting tang sight it would be good for 200 yards. A buisness rifle with a hunting tang will give ya more site radius, also be a great choice. I've been hunting with a 34" barreled sharps and it is fine for set shots but not fast for quick shoots.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe