Loaded Rounds thru Resizing Die

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Well another fine day at the range,put the 200 th round through my now one week old Silhouette rifle.

Bonanza,
I checked a loaded .45-90 by running it through the sizing die.Now I take for granted you run your round all the way to the shell holder with the bulge that low were 1/2" wont chamber.
I miked the case and bullet before and after.The case was swaged down from .478 to .468 the first driving band stayed .458.I pulled the bullet and found the bullet was swaged down to .451 on the 2,3,and 4th driving band.
I would think you would get a lot of gas cutting before that bullet sluges back up to the groove.

Kurt
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I have used my sizing die only on Paper Patched rounds. Even then I don't use the full length, just size enough to take out the flare from the expander die. Full length sizing of a loaded round in my oppinion is going to do nothing but resize the case and bullet. Basically crush them into shape. Try loading up some rounds with a smaller dia bullet, and you should have no problems. If you are bulging the case with compressing, then you are more than likely compressing too much. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I just size the neck area to remove the bell. And its not very much. tThis is no different then screwing in the seating die to remove the bell. However I dont want any roll crimping so I use the sizer instead.

Lyman makes a neck sizing die I have used it some also. I have never FL resized a loaded round. The method I use does not seem to hurt the bullet or accuarcy, and its the way I load my 45-110 rounds and my 45-70 also.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Long story made short,

New rifle, tight chamber. New brass to be fire-formed.
Loaded 100 new brass with Elephant 2F and some very old wheel weight bullets to get the first good fire-form done.
Rifle arrives and I go to range with said ammo. New unfired brass drop into the chamber but these LOADED rounds I want to fire will not chamber. I feel dumb. Go home. Screw RCBS FL 45-70 die less stem into the press (all the way). Lightly lube loaded cases. Run all 100 through FL die. Return to range. Shoot 20 or 30 on paper just for something to do. Great groups.

A few days later the light goes on. Mic. the outside of the case necks on the loaded rounds. .465" !!!
Hmmmmm .465"-(.0105 +.0105")= .444" bullet! In other words I sized the bullet down inside the cases from .459" to .444" Ouch!
I took the remaining ammo from the original 100 to the range at Rifle where I could shoot at pigs at 300m. Those .015" undersized, squeezed down, WW bullets held the pigs until I got sick of shooting them.
????????
I just had to laugh. That isn’t 'spost' to happen. I have not done any more post sizing.
Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.