50cal 1886 BP on Game !

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JAGG

50cal 1886 BP on Game !

Post by JAGG »

In this months Handloader Mag. is a story about a hunter shooting Big Game with an 1886 win with a 50/110 using BP only loads of 100gr/450gr bullet ! Interesting ! JAGG :idea:
JAGG
KHR

Post by KHR »

Jagg,
the 50/110 is an awsome rifle, I have an '86 in 45/90, shoots pretty good. did a number on some of the big central texas wild hogs we have.

the 50/110 is again available! and they are stunning, look at the link below:

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/bigbore.htm

wish I had a spare '86 to get one built
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Omak Cowboy

re built guns

Post by Omak Cowboy »

These are beautiful guns but I have to wonder what such work does to the value? Anyone know?
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

From a collectors point of view any rare gun should not be altered nor should a gun with original finish. It also depends on what you are plannning on doing with the finished rifle. If you thinking this would be a good investment then you might be dissapointed. However, since 1886 winchesters are not rare and if you had one with no original finish and planned on keeping it then it could make sense to alter one. Not all 1886 winchesters are suitable for this work and should be first checked by a professional that you trust.

That said, how cool would it be to own a shootable 50 caliber 1886!!!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

You guys didn't read the article did you ? JAGG :roll:
JAGG
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

All,
Back in 1972 while I was in the Navy another sailor asked me to look at his grandfathers old rifle and see if it would be safe to shoot. We were in the shipyard at the time and no guns were allowed so I pulled my truck up next to his car and we did the quick switch from his trunk to my truck.
I didn't look at the gun at the time as it was in a cheap rifle case. He told me he thought it was 44/40 but he didn't know much about guns. When I got home I took the rifle out of the case and WOW, it was an 1886 saddle ring carbine in imaculate condition. The case hardening under the saddle ring wasn't even worn. I got on the phone and asked him for the history on the rifle. He said that his grandfather who was very well off had planned a hunting trip to Alaska and ordered the rifle directly from the Winchester factory. After the rifle arrived the trip fell through and the rifle was put in storage and had never been fired. I went back out to the shop and ran a 45 cal. brush through the bore and I was taken back cause it didn't even touch the sides of the barrel. I then noticed that the barrel was marked 50 EX and was in fact a 50/110.
I eventually gave the rifle back to him after telling him that it was valuable and not to mess with it. I did have fun pulling it out of it's case at the local gun shops and watching the reaction from everyone as they casually asked if it was for sale.
Everyone talkes about recoil. How ould you like to shoot a saddle ring carbine in the Big Fifty?
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug