Business Rifled Hog on the run

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Darryl

Business Rifled Hog on the run

Post by Darryl »

Here's a nice little meat sow that I took with my Business Rifle recently. I was walking through a heavily wooded area South of Columbus, TX. and heard / saw a pack of hogs coming through the brush towards me. I turned around and ran about 25 yards back in the direction I came from, turned around, thumbed back the hammer, set the trigger and leveled the gun on the trail. They started crossing the trail from my left to right (at least 30 of them with piglets included). I put the copper penny on the shoulder of this sow and let the smoke out.
Dropped in it's tracks.
45/70 Business Rifle
525 Grain Flatnose in 30/1 (with a .310" meplat) seated to cover all grooves
70.0 Grains Goex Express
Fed 215
.060" Walters & two paper wads

[img][img]http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp32 ... G_0173.jpg[/img][/img]
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Niuce! That load will do for most anything you want to kill with your Shiloh.

Clarence
rdnck

Yep!

Post by rdnck »

Darryl--Nice shooting. Like Clarence said, that load will do for just about anything including buffalo. That is a really good hunting set up and is very close to being exactly what I am running. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Nice work Darryl and beautiful wood on your rifle.

Stephen Borud
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Thanks.

I really enjoy that rifle. It's not built like the originals were because I got the fancy wood and pewter, but I wanted a beautiful hunting Sharps, and that thing is simply drop dead gorgeous. The pictures do it no justice at all.

It carries really well, shoulders really well with the steel shotgun butt, and the balance is extraordinary with that 28" tapered barrel. All recommended by RDNCK, and he was darn right about it.

The bonus to me (since I only hunt a LOT and don't shoot any steel) is that it puts the first shot out of a clean dry bore right into the group. My .50/70 roller does that too everytime without fail.

I set up the penny sights on both my Roller and this Sharps business rifle a little different. Since I have, I've been killing much more effectively:

I set them up for a 150 yard zero.
This puts them 4 1/2" high at 30 yds, 6.6" high at 50yds, 8" high at 85 yds, 7" High at 100 yds, 4" high at 130, dead on at 150, 4" low at 165, 8" low at 180 yds.

On deer and hogs (which is pretty much all I hunt with them) - I can hold hair from 30 to 180 yards:
From 30 to 130 yards, I cover the front leg of the animal with the penny and rest the sight picture of the animal (at the sternum) on the top of the rear sight. My shot will all go high - into the vitals from 30 to 130 without having to change my hold.
At 150, I center on the shoulder, I hold 1/3 down from the back at 165 yards, and backstrap at 180 which drops me 8" down into the vitals.

I've been dropping animals very effectively with this set up - especially in LOW LIGHT conditions. I can see the copper penny very well in low light. This setup works with the trajectory beautifully from 30 to 130 (which is where the majority of my shots always are), putting the the lead in the kill zone. Having the crisp sight picture caused by resting the animal ON TOP of my sights instead of having to cover up a portion of the animal with my sights from 30 to 130 is HUGE in low light conditions.

This particular hog was shot at around 25 yards at a slot moving trot. I memorized in my head to hold a little high above the sternum onanything under 30 yards. I did this shot fast, but I clearly remember my sight picture when I dropped the hammer - I disected that front leg with the penny and raised the hold around 4 inches above the sternum. You can see where the bullet entered is about 8 inches high above the sternum. Checking the trajectory on JBM puts that bullet 3.8 inches high at 25 yards. That plus the roughly 4 inches I raised made a dead on kill.

I've got a good hold point for 200 yards using the ladder (which RDNCK taught me). I'm going to work on some longer distances and practice shooting more from field positions and shooting sticks.

Hunting with these guns is marksmanship. I honesly have not taken a scoped rifle with smokeless powder in the field since the 2007 season. I probably won't either.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Darryl sounds like you got some great advice. Good luck in your future hunting adventures.

Stephen Borud
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Darryl wrote:Hunting with these guns is marksmanship. I honesly have not taken a scoped rifle with smokeless powder in the field since the 2007 season. I probably won't either.
I'll second that. I just recently got a Shiloh for my 50th B-day. Didn't get to hunt with it much this past fall unfortunately. But I've been hunting with a TC Hawken for the last 10 years, and I don't plan to ever return to hunting with a modern high power firearm. Hunting with blackpowder really set the hook on me. To use a different angle on an old pun - Once you go black, you never go back!
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nah, most of us cross over and back all the time after shooting black powder initially.
What a privilege to have it all available, ehay? :D
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Darryl: You and your Sharps sure let the air out of that sow! How did she eat up?
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Nice one Darryl !-------------it's hog huntin time in texas for sure-----heading out to a friends at Montgomery this weekend to chase em and get some longer range sight settings.

Dave