Shot Some New Swiss Powder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MLV

Shot Some New Swiss Powder

Post by MLV »

Some time back there were some disturbing reports that the current batch of Swiss powder was "defective". That really got a lot of us BPCR target shooters stirred up because we are depending on it.

I got my hands on some of the new powder and have finally gotten to test fire it a bit. (Montana's winter delayed me.) Also I have passed on some to Butch Ulsher, 2 time NRA Long Range national champion, and gathered some data from my good friend Bob Glodt of Plainview, Texas, who finished 6th overall at the BPCR Silhouette Nationals for 2003. Believe me, both of these guys can shoot!

Generally speaking I consider this a "good news - bad news" thing. The bad news is that Yes, the new batch of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg is not exactly the same as previous batches. The good news is that it can still be made to shoot quite accurately.

Here's what I (we) have learned. Weight for weight the new powder gives about the same velocity as the older stuff. Volume for volume it will give about 50 fps less speed. For instance, my usual .45-70 silhouette load with 513 grain Brooks Creedmoor bullet and 70 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg gives right at 1200 fps. With the new powder 65 grains comes to the same level in the case as my old 70 grain load. That load then chronographed 1150 fps. (SD was 5.0 and extreme spread was 14 fps.) Group at 300 yards for 10 shots was about five inches on a bit of a brisk day. My rifle was an original Remington Rolling Block action fitted with 32" Badger barrel by gunsmith John King.

Butch Ulsher shot the new powder in his .45-90 Remington/Hepburn (Badger barrel) with which he has won those two national champion titles. He had to reduce his load five grains likewise from 83 to 78 grains. His ballistics for the new Swiss was 1258 fps average, and 16 fps extreme spread. He didn't give me the SD, and I can't remember if his 550 grain bullet was from a Paul Jones or Steve Brooks mold. I know he has both. Butch said that the group for the new powder was 4 inches wide and 2 3/4 inches tall at 200 yards. He was shooting in Butte, Montana and it was a windy day. His load with the old Swiss gave a 2" tall and 1 3/4" wide group on the same day but he didn't chronograph it.

Bob Glodt did his test shooting on a calm day near Plainview, Texas. His bullet was a 536 grain from Paul Jones mold and 63 grains (actual weight) of both new and old Swiss powders. The old stuff gave 1138 fps with an SD of 5.8. The new stuff was 1121 fps with an SD of 4.9. The groups at 300 yards for 10 shots were 3" tall by 4" wide for the old powder and 2" tall by 2.5" wide for the new stuff. Bob then tried to compress the new Swiss and used 67 grains. The ballistics were impressive. Average was 1172 fps and SD an amazing 2.2, but accuracy went downhill. Group was 9" tall by 4" wide. Bob's rifle is a .45-70 Shiloh with 30" barrel.

You will be able to see Bob's full report if you subscribe tot he SPG Black Powder Cartridge News magazine.

It is disappointing that this batch of Swiss differed from the last batch. But; it is not junk powder.

I hope this helps.
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Mike,
What is the lot # on the powder you have?
LJ
MLV

Post by MLV »

LJ: The lot number is 220-503. If the powder can is plastic and if the lot number is on the small white label that also has the designation "1 1/2 Fg", then its 2003 powder. The stuff made prior to that is either in metal cans or in plastic cans on which the small white "1 1/2Fg" label carries no lot number.
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

MLV

Thanks for arranging the 'test' and putting out the results so far. I don't know which batch of Swiss we will be getting on this side of the pond next, but at least we'll be prepaired for any changes.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I just tested the new lot of swiss 2f lot #120.603. The setting I use with my Lyman powder measure with the old lot of swiss would dump 70 grains by weight. The same setting with the new lot dumps 58.5 grains by weight. I found that after dumping through a 30 inch drop tube, was that the new powder settles more than the old lot. I had to increase the volume of the measure up until it dumped 64 grains by weight to get the same compression as the old lot (.060).

I do not have a chronogaph, but the load shot 7 shots into 3.5 inch group at 270 yards, which is the same group I normally get with the old lot. I used Federal 215 primers and a Lyman 457132 bullet and .030 Walters wad. Rifle is Shiloh #1 Heavy in 45-70.

Looks as though the new powder is just fine. Just a little differance in density.

Carl