Breech Block reinserted, for now

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Concerning 1863 breech block problems,
I found a raised burr, if you will, on the lower portion of the chamber sleeve, af that is correct. I carefully used a fingernail emery board and filed it down, or so it looked. Miraculously,when I raised the lever the beech block went in, albeit grudgingly. Found that a gentle right or left movement on the lever would move the cutting edge past the chamber and up, but not a hard or fast stright up move. Still a recalcitrent piece to slide in. I hope things soften soon. My amatuer gunsmithing probably did no good. (but no harm?) Very strange. Got any ideas?
Thanks for helping me, Gregg
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

do you suppose that with the making of the burr it may have gotten out of round just a tad and is not seating perfectly?
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Dean,
What do you mean by "it" as in the making of the burr? The chamber "sleeve" out of round, or the breech block gas seal, or something else? And my goodness what isn't seating properly, do you perhaps mean an incomplete seal now? Ths lever now can't be just casually raised as we're used to to shoot, I must be cognizant of where the breech block lies as it is raised. Very worrisome, have not shoot it since though I intend to soon. Oh I need to understand your exact thoughts, sorry for my density up top.
Thanks again, Gregg
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

you said the chamber sleeve was diinged and I was wondering if it was out of round from getting dinged and not fitting correctly
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Dean'

Thanks for the reply. Chamber sleeve dinged with a pushed up piece of metal but it is not out of round. This new gas seal (since Oct. 03) always seemed tight, but I may have been used to the original worn one.

Thanks again, Gregg