moose meet 585 gr. Paul Jones bullet

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

canuck4570

moose meet 585 gr. Paul Jones bullet

Post by canuck4570 »

this moose was shot at 90 yards using a 585 gr Paul Jones mold bullet
1/20 lead
1100 fps
shot in the hump on the front shoulder, went down on the spot and needed a second shot to finish
4570 loaded with 55 gr FF powder
pedersoli Boss rifle
moose weight is 1075 pounds and 45 and 1/2
inches horn..
[imgImage[/img]
Last edited by canuck4570 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
rdnck

Good going!

Post by rdnck »

canuck 4570--Way to go! A moose is way up on my list of animals I would like to hunt. That is a very nice animal. Lots of good eating there.

I am curious about the bullet performance. Did you shoot all the way through him, or did you recover the bullet? Also, what was the nose shape of the bullet? Congratulations again. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
canuck4570

bullet

Post by canuck4570 »

http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45016.jpg

the bullet interred about 10 inches below the big hump the moose got on top of the front shoulder and past right through
where the bullet hit its all bone with the spine in the middle about 1 foot thick "good penetration"
entrance hole bullet size exit hole 2 inches with bones fragment sticking out....
I have shot this bullet in sand and it mushroom to 3/4 inche approximately
the bullet has a meplat of .365 made for me by Paul Jones with a few modification
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice going Canuck! I sure envy you all the good meat. I was not successful this year and my freezer is getting low on game.
I'm going to float a new area next year and see if we can't do better. MD
FFG

Post by FFG »

585 grs! wow that's a chunk of lead for a 45-70 to sling, it looks like the right medicine for moose, ey!
rdnck

Yep!

Post by rdnck »

canuck4570--Thanks for the feedback. Those heavy 45 caliber bullets are the way to go. The old 45-70 loaded correctly keeps on getting the job done. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Three Forks

Post by Three Forks »

Hey canuk4570, you've been busted... In your fairy tail...!

From the Handloads.com web site...

wonderful thing the internet, you can catch people in their, shall we say, bending of the truth ?

From the Shiloh site

this moose was shot at 90 yards using a 585 gr Paul Jones mold bullet
1/20 lead
1100 fps
shot in the hump on the front shoulder, went down on the spot and needed a second shot to finish
4570 loaded with 55 gr FF powder
pedersoli Boss rifle
moose weight is 1075 pounds and 45 and 1/2
inches horn..

viewtopic.php?t=14470&high light=

From the Nosler Reloading site

shot at 90 yards in the hump on top of shoulder, went down immediately
45 inches horns, 1075 pounds
caliber 30-06

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/v ... p?f=5&t=11 667&sid=e7ad843e6c7fca52c7b7417592de2210&start=0

YOU'RE BUSTED IN THE ACT...

Bill
A fools lips enter into contention, and his mouth calls for strokes - Proverbs 18: 6
Three Forks

Post by Three Forks »

Edited to update Nosler forum address...

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/v ... 10&start=0

Bill
A fools lips enter into contention, and his mouth calls for strokes - Proverbs 18: 6
pete

Post by pete »

Mm, mm, mm it's amazing what some people will do to try and get whatever.

Good research Three Forks.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

We've been had guys! Sure hate to waist a perfectly good complement! Ah well , reminds me of a fella leaning against the bench at one of our offhand muzzle loading matches. MD
bobw

Post by bobw »

Was a good catch 3 forks. Thanks for your doubt. Regardless of what firearm or load used it's a fine animal, too bad that alone isn't enuf satisfaction without fabrication. bobw
Brent

Post by Brent »

This moose gets shot a lot.

Looks to me like it was shot with a Ruger #1 .45-70 on a castboolits forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive ... 93663.html
and here on a marlin forum
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... ic=53120.0

Then it was shot with a 450 Steyr on a scoutrifle forum
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?act ... opic=340.0

Cool. I wonder if you need to buy another tag every time it gets shot with a different rifle.

I cut copied the url for the photo into google and hit return. I suppose there are lots of others because it didn't even find the Nosler or Shiloh versions.

hmmm, I thought moose hunting would be expensive but if I can shoot a dozen moose all for the price of one tag - this just might be a good deal.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
RMulhern

Which moose...da right moose??

Post by RMulhern »

That thar bees one frickin TUFF MOOSE!! Wharped with a bunch of tuff cartridges....and still moving!! :shock: :lol: :roll:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
GST

Post by GST »

Like the description on the hunting section says "tell your tales( tall or otherwise)".....this one is a whopper. Well he couuld have shot it a Pendersoli Boss and just fabricated the stories about the other guns. I think it was probably road kill that was used for a photo op.
Seriously, didn't your mamas tell you not to beleive everthing you see on the internet?

GST
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

I wonder if this intentional falsehood is enough to get the poster banned from this forum? At this point, what can any of us believe from him if he decides to post again? This is not a matter of a difference of opinion, but an outright lie, with proof to boot. Ban him.
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR