1863 Shiloh Sharps Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
greymount

1863 Shiloh Sharps Carbine

Post by greymount »

I recently purchased an 1863 Sharps Carbine and was wondering what size bullets do I use for this gun. I currently have some Rapine 557475 ringtail bullets and some Rapine 544475 ringtail bullets. I would also like to use the Charlie Hahn tubes sold on the Shiloh website. What is the correct size tubes to use for this gun?
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Just a note. There are no standard tubes for any given gun. The depth of the chamber and the size of the front ring on the bullet are cause for variation on the bullet fit. I would suggest you slug you bore first to see which bullet is best. You should find that the groove diameter is either .544, or .560. This determines the back band size. The front band should ride the bore, and the middle band should fill about half way.

Once you pick the bullet, drop a dry bullet in the breach and measure to the breech face, add the ring tail if you are using a ring tail. In addition to the sizes offered by Shiloh, I stock about 5 more to fit guns being used in the N-SSA. I can be reached at 410-208-4736 if you have more questions or need some data on how to assemble rounds using my Tubes.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
Charlie Hahn
Jay Yuskaitis

Charlies tubes

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

"Charlies tubes" are probably the best addition to shooting since the founding of the "Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Company". Jay Y.
holdover

Post by holdover »

follow Charlies advice and he'll be able to fix you up. Been using his tubes since he started making them. I haven't rolled my own since I tried his tubes.. a few years ago.. FYI mine shoots a .544 and a 1.2" tube