helicopter shooting of ferel hogs

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

helicopter shooting of ferel hogs

Post by mdeland »

I was greatly impressed with how well the buckshot worked on the feral hogs. It would seem the most efficient method of eradicating a very serious problem in the effected areas.
I would think some good money could be made from the farmers for helping them get rid of these very destructive and intelligent pests.
It won't take them long to figure out feeding nocturnally though and I don't know if shooting from a copter and flood lights is feasible.
I bet that gunners shoulder was black and blue the next day! MD
Up In Smoke

Re: helicopter shooting of ferel hogs

Post by Up In Smoke »

mdeland wrote:I was greatly impressed with how well the buckshot worked on the feral hogs. It would seem the most efficient method of eradicating a very serious problem in the effected areas.
I would think some good money could be made from the farmers for helping them get rid of these very destructive and intelligent pests.
It won't take them long to figure out feeding nocturnally though and I don't know if shooting from a copter and flood lights is feasible.
I bet that gunners shoulder was black and blue the next day! MD
Watching that video, it seems that chopper-gunning hogs would be one of of those activities almost too fun to be legal. The animal rights crowd are probably stewing. :lol:
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
bobw

Re: helicopter shooting of ferel hogs

Post by bobw »

Up In Smoke wrote:[quote="mdeland"
The animal rights crowd are probably stewing. :lol:

F##k them they are like the rest of the libs give them an inch and they take a mile. Hogs have to be dealt with terminally, no other way. First you have to recognise the problem and its true nature then and only then can you deal with it effectively. bobw
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

MD,

After you've logged 10 hours in a chopper at night shooting hogs, let us know. Sounds to me like one of the nuttier ideas I've ever heard.

Clarence
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I don't know one way or the other Clarence that's why I said I don't know if it is feasible at night using flood lights on a chopper. Perhaps some one is already doing it for all I know. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

You know Clearance I got to thinking about it today and the police use helicopters and flood lights all the time to chase bad guys and speeding vehicles at night. I would imagine you would want to be a bit higher to give an extra margin of safety and would probably have to use a scoped rifle rather than buck shot.
In one of the links the chopper had a siren to get them going from their hides in the deep brush. MD
wetcaver

Post by wetcaver »

You do it in day light its not safe to fligh low enought to shoot at night.
hartford 45-70
# 3 sporter 45-70