More Texas Hogs taken with BPCRs

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Darryl

More Texas Hogs taken with BPCRs

Post by Darryl »

Here are some more taken by either my Shiloh Hartford .45/70 34" heavy, or my Lonestar Rolling Block in .50/70:

Nice Boar Hog taken at 116 yards by the Hartford. I him him a little low in the chest and he ran almost exactly 100 yards before dropping.

This boar was taken while still hunting. He saw me and busted out of some brush - running from my left to my right at a full clip at about 60 yards. I did not lead him under the excitement, instead I got my sights on his shoulder and fired. As you can see I hit him a little far back due to not leading him - that's the exit wound from the .50 Caliber Flatnose out of the rolling block. He crawled into the brush:

This one was taken by my .50/70 under a feeder while eating corn. He dropped in his tracks. I VIDEO TAPED THE SHOT ON THIS HOG BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THE VIDEO CLIP ON THE SITE. IF YOU SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, I'LL email you the clip. It's awesome and the smacking sound from that .50 caliber bullet is something to hear.

Here are some pics off of my game cam taken on my place from last year. These are going to be future hunts on the horizon:

Darryl
Katy, Texas
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I think you need some serious backup! I can volunteer my .45-90 Hartford.

Clarence
Brent

Post by Brent »

Feeding them like that - is it any wonder you have a million hogs? :roll:
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

I feed them year round and it provides for something to hunt 24/7/365.

I'm heading back out there this Thursday morning. I'll post whatever I get.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Do you think you are eliminating them as fast as you are growing them?
I guess I'm wondering if you are inadvertently contributing to the feral hog problem instead of helping it?
At any rate nice shooting. MD
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Theres no way that I'm killing them fast enough.
The feeding of corn doesn't breed the hogs, or increase their overall population in this climate - but it does concentrate them in areas where they can be predicted to visit regularly - which helps in killing them.
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Their gestation is 115 days and they
Typically breed as early as 8 months old with litters of
4-6 being normal, but as high as 10-12.

The same sow can drop two litters
Per year.

They'll exist anywhere there's water and decent cover. Adding artificial feed to the mix almost guarantees you'll have them down here in the Lonestar state.

They are here to stay - providing year round hunting for black powder cartridge enthusiasts who like to hurl chunks of lead!
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

A good example of how our welfare system works as well!
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Exactly Steve.

When I read what I wrote above, it does describe our welfare systems quite well.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Darryl, keep up the slaughterfest, your racking up the kills with your Sharps. Good work.

Stephen Borud
rdnck

You bet!

Post by rdnck »

Darryl--You definitely have the program working. Good shooting, and stay after them. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
RMulhern

Hogs!

Post by RMulhern »

You don't need a Sharps!

You need this:

M60 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
bobw

Post by bobw »

I don't know Sharpy BAR is more reliable and less chance of running away on him. Maybe he could Shrapnel to borrrow MLV's and make a hog sojorn might look neater than dead gophers they got in Montana. :lol: bobw
wfrascher

Post by wfrascher »

I'm a little late for this topic and wasn't going to post, but since bobw did...

Clarence he doesn't need the backup, I do. :-) I don't use a feeder and have more than what Darryl has in those feeder pictures. Worse. I can't seem to hit any of 'em. Last night at dust the biggest boar I've seen started across the pasture (my shooting range) at a smooth fast pace. I was just putting things up from sighting in my TC with an 06 barrel, so I put a round in the chamber, tracked him smoothly, started my squeeze and ah crap. He stops dead still right as i fired. I put a second round in the chamber and pick him up again. Again he stops right as I fire. Then he looks in my direction and casually walks into the woods. I swear this hog knows...

Have any smart hogs Darryl?

William
KL

More Texas Hogs

Post by KL »

Do you have a specific season on those or are you allowed to hunt them all year as a nuisance?