Thanks Shiloh

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
OMD

Thanks Shiloh

Post by OMD »

Adding a forum specifically for the Sharps Model 1863 was great idea. I look forward to reading the posts and participating in the discussion on these great rifles.

Thanks again,
Owen
Todd Birch

Pyrodex Pellets at 200 yards in '63

Post by Todd Birch »

This is great - a forum just for shooters of '63s!

Them new fangled ca'tridge guns is just a passin' fad anyways.....recoil absorbers, 'sissy pads' an' all that.

Some of you may have been following my postings as I've had fun with my Farmingdale .50 calibre Military Rifle.
So far I've had success with 60 grs of Goex Cartridge Grade in nitrated tubes behind breech seated as cast, pan lubed bullets. The trick was to compress the paper tube fully into the breech so that there was no powder loss due to shearing.
If I was using folded over flat base tubes as opposed to single layer, I punctured the base with an awl, even with nitrated paper. Most times there was some unburned paper left in the chamber or bore.

Bein' the lazy cuss I is, I got me some Pyrodex pellets in .54 and rolled them in nitrated paper along with my .515 diameter bullets. This produces a really good looking, easy handling paper cartridge.
I punch a hole in the folded over paper base with an awl and breech seat them with a short starter or tear off the powder to expose the base.

With the paper wrap, they are a chamber snug fit and the hole in the pellet lines up with the flash hole in the gas plate. Ignition is faultless.

Today at 200 yards, with a knowledgable BP shooter spotting, wiping between shots, I fired a 5 shot group that measured 6" h x 6 1/2" v spread.
Point of impact was 2" below my POA. It was a cloudy day and I know that had it been sunny, it would have been right on POA.

The paper is 100% consumed due to the hotter burn, but I need to drip a few drops of cleaning solution between the gas plate and barrel most times to open the breech.
Pyrodex fouling is hard and dry compared to BP.

"Bambi" and "Brother Bear" are in a whole lot of trouble this season!

Shoot a '63 - the Original!

Todd
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd's cartridges sport that classic looking profile as they should. I've seen pictures. O.K., any ideas on a near chamber size fit for my .54 and Pyrodex pellets? Todd lucked out using .54 dudes in his .50 rifle.
Gregg
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Kirk & Lucinda,

Thanks a lot for establishing this new board. This was, in my opinion, needed.

It easily gives the guys that shoot the '63 or guys that want to study them a place to go.

Again, Thanks a lot.

Hal