Pyrodex Pellets in '63 .50 calibre Military Rifle

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

If the very word "Pyrodex" causes your lip to curl, read no further.
If, on the other hand, you own a '63 percussion rifle, particularly one in .50 calibre read on......

My aim has been to develop a hunting cartridge with acceptable accuracy that I could insert in a hurry if a second shot was necessary.

This morning I rolled some .54/60 Pyrodex pellets in nitrated paper (100% cotton onion skin 2 x 1 3/4").
The paper adhered nicely to the lube and I folded the 1/4" excess over the hard base of the pellet, no glue. The tube was glued along the edge as per usual.

You get a round that looks just like the paper rounds you see in the books, one that would not embarrass you at a Civil war re-enactment.
It withstands rough handling and inserts with a push of the thumb, fitting nicely into the chamber of the '63 with 3/16" space to spare.
That space could be taken up with a heavier or different bullet design.

By chance, I had a plastic cartridge tray that accepted the completed rounds perfectly, bullet up. In fact, it acted as sort of a 'sizer' for paper cartridges. This was gettin' too easy.

As I was setting up at the range, a local good ol' boy showed up with his visiting sister. He offered to spot for me, telling his sister that I'd be lucky to hit the target with my "blunderbuss".
First shot was with a breech seated bullet and an unwrapped pellet to foul the bore. I clanged the 12" 100 yard gong with it. "lucky shot", said good ol' boy.
I wiped the bore and loaded with a paper round complete with bullet and pellet. There was a bit of a hang fire and it hit 2" high and 3" left of my POA at 50 yds. Good ol' boy sniggered.
I wiped the bore and this time removed the paper from the base. Ignition was instantaneous and the round hit right at POA. Good ol' boy was startin' to show interest.
I fired four more rounds into the group, each time wiping between shots and removing the paper from the base of the pellet. Net result - a 3 shot cloverleaf and two widening the group to 1 3/4". Encouraging. Good ol' boy is gettin' a little excited.
The breech required a drip of cleaning solution to open after the third shot and every shot thereafter. I pulled the block and cleaned the face after five rounds.
Now I got smart. I forgot that I had an awl with me that I use to pierce the base of paper cartridges. This time I pierced the paper of each cartridge with the awl into the convenient hole of the pellet and fired five rounds at 100 yards, wiping between rounds.
This produced a group 2" x 1/2" on POA, with again, a three shot cloverleaf. Good ol' boy nearly wet his self.

The wind was now playing hob so I shut her down. Tomorrow I'll try my hand at 200 yards when it's calm.

The paper was 100% consumed. Powder fouling was less than with black powder but stiffer. Felt recoil was noticeably less than with 60 grs FFg.

A very satisfactory experiment so far.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Pyrodex in '63's

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
Well, "you try it first", now I'm glad I said that. The first shot as I read it was a non-papered pellet? In my opinion this is good shooting, esp. with issue sights. Am I correct to assume that .54/60 is as in 60 grns. equiv. to 2fg? My carbine .54 might desire .58 pellets to best fit the chamber eh. I wonder about the breech needing such aid, with BP and 60 grns. 2fg it normally takes perhaps 6 to 8 shots brfore mine gets that stiff. But that is minor. I still wonder how the heck the bullet will hold to the cartridge with just lube! I MUST use glue with my flat based cartridges. Me thinks a round tissue or zig zag flat base would require no ignition aid. As an aside, do you remember the cost of propellent? I am still perfecting my cartridges with different powder charges and bullets, now I've this to consider. Good for you! I do after all use Pyrodex in my 58 Remington. Were I to do this I really wonder the useage of RS Pyrodex in my flat based cartridges with bullet inserted. 200 yds., can't wait to hear about it.
Gregg
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Hi Gregg

To answer your questions:

- Yes, 54/60 refers to a .54 cal. pellet equivalent to 60 grs powder. Pyrodex, not BP. They also offer 50/60 and 50/30.

I'm not sure about .58 calibre. If Hodgdon does make them, that might be what you need to fill the chamber of the .54 Sharps and be in line with the flash hole.

Because you are able to tightly roll the bullet and hard pellet together, the paper adheres to the lube just fine. No tying to the bullet with itty-bitty threads.

In cleaning the rifle, I noticed that the residue is harder than BP residue.
I had a little more difficulty in removing the flash hole screw from the block than with BP.
Same for the gas plate. I'd be very reluctant to let it go even overnight.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Thanks Todd'
Idon't use "itty bitty threads", I glue bullet to cartridge, however, being a patient flytyer, I would do it if I must. You have better eyes than mine. Good shooting, Gregg