I'm running out of Shilohs ....

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

I'm running out of Shilohs ....

Post by Todd Birch »

I decided that my '63 .50 carbine would be my spring bear rifle, so it went to the range yesterday ....
I got my usual 5 rd 2"-4" groups off hand at 50m (flyers my fault, coping with the heavy trigger pull) while the guys eiter side of me were benching it; one with a scoped '06, t'other with a scoped, custom M-H .44 mag of his own making.
They challenged me to go for the 100m gong - "Bang! - Clang!" Did it several times running, so they said - "Go for the pig at 150m." Hit it 3 for 5 - all off hand. They weren't laughing at my 'paper' Sharps any more ... ;>)
Cleaning the rifle at home, I snapped off half the head of the flash hole clean out screw. It had been coated with anti-seize compound, but it wasn't good enough.
The gas plate is developing cavitation, so I'll send the block to Shiloh for TLC.
They already have my new 50-70 carbine (they shortened the stock), the locks and trigger plates from my Farmer 45-70 BR and 50-70 MR and will soon have the block from my '63 carbine.
I'm running out of Shilohs to shoot, down to a .50 '63 MR and a .54 Sporter! Maybe I need to buy another .... ;>)
I also had my H&R 45-70 Trapdoor carbinewith me and off hand, it was easier to hit both the 100m and 150m with it. It may be my spring b'ar rifle.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Reminds me of O'Connor's classic: "Up To Our Necks In Deer." You seem to be "up to your neck in Shilohs!"

Must be nice to own more than one. But as Duke Venturino is fond of saying: "Fear the man who has only one rifle."
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

Todd, a small bore ( .40 or .45 ) sporter is just what you need- mainly because I would really like to know how they will shoot!
Todd Birch

Bag Balm? Mooo!

Post by Todd Birch »

Pushing my run of rum luck, I took my Farmer .50 MR to the range today .....
The wind was howling, but what the hay, it blows when you're hunting as well.
At 50 yds off hand, I put 5 rds in 3". At 100, again off hand, I printed three in 2-3/4"; two rounds in just over 1". Looks like I found my b'ar gun ... ;>)
Being the bright lad that I are, I reasoned that if Bag Balm is good as a case resizing lube, why not fill the block cavity of a '63 with it? It worked, and I suspect will be even better in warm weather. The block remained easy to open after 15 rounds.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

Todd, You are shooting great groups OFFHAND at 50 & 100 yards. I'm impressed. What are you getting out of your perc. rifles/carbines off the bench?
Todd Birch

Bench - whazzat ...?

Post by Todd Birch »

Bill - that's a good question ....

After I've zeroed, I rarely shoot from the bench as I'm primarily a hunter and CAS shooter where benches are seldom found.
I'm always amazed at the hunters I see at the range who don't take the time to fire a few off hand. If I mention it, they look at me like I'm crazy.

Once the snow is gone and the ground a bit drier, I'll be shooting from the military sitting position and prone. That really shocks the red necks!

A few years back, the late Bobby Bayles ( a member of this forum) put together a '59/'63 percussion postal shoot. We had a Ped, Bobby's Garret, one .54 Shiloh Sporter, a .50 MR and one .54 carbine. We shot from 50 to 200 on appropriate sized NRA targets; off hand and x-sticks/bench past 100. BP or substitute. I used 60 gr Pyrodex pellets in my .50 MR.
All of us were amazed at the accuracy we got! As a group, we were so green that none of us knew how to adjust the Lawrence rear sights and had to 'hold off'. We were allowed to post a 'sighter' target beside the target for score which helped a lot.
You could also wipe between shots, which most of us did.
Marshal Deadwood

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

Mr Todd, you bout have me stirred up enough to get a percussion Sharps. I'd love the military rifle I think. My lastest is a 45-70 military rifle and the dang thing is just perfectly balanced. I don't even find a prob with the military rear stock.

Then again, I've always lusted for a military carbine..........

Do you prefer the 50 over the 54 ,,,? or the other way around ?

MD
Todd Birch

.50 or .54 ..... ?

Post by Todd Birch »

Strange you should ask ....

I really like my MRs for hunting. Sling swivels, weight, balance - perfect!

I just finished casting and pan lubing a batch of .54 bullets - the Lee REAL, Lee .54 Minie and Rapine 454475. Day before I sized/lubed a batch of .50 Lyman 515141 for my 50-70s and .50 '63s.
I bought the .54 Sporter as it came 'as new' at a price I couldn't refuse - and no waiting. But my .50 '63s are the MR and carbine, and a MR and carbine in 50-70. Guess you could say the .50s are my calibre of choice.

I haven't fired the Lee REAL in the .54, but it sure shoots the Minie (paper cartridge) and Rapine 454475 well, using Charlie Hahn's chamber length tubes. The NIB Lee REAL mould came with a Gallager carbine I just acquired.
I haven't taken any game with a '63, but my impression is that the .54 would flatten anything hit at a reasonable distance (150 yds or less). It has a cavernous (100 gr+) powder chamber compared to the 60 gr capacity of the '63 .50s.
A long string of 100+ gr .54 loads would probably get tiresome, but in a hunting rifle, not a problem.
You pays you money - you takes you choice .... ;>) Are you currently casting .50 calibre bullets?