45-110 brass brand and twist rate

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gary Edgington

45-110 brass brand and twist rate

Post by Gary Edgington »

I've been told that Bell 45-110 brass will not work in my Shiloh chamber. Is this true. What should my chamber mike at at the mouth? Also does anybody know when Shiloh switched to 1 turn in 18" for the .45-70 ? Appreciate the help. Would love some advice on hunting load suggestions for black bear. I think 457193 might be a little light.

Thanks

Gary
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

bell will work i have some its just thicker than norma and noticeably more so than hds brass that being said it could be neck turned or as i do just a little neck crimp.but i like norma brass the best very consistant from case to case and have had none fail,hsd have had a few split cases split on the first fireing with blackpowder and there rim thickness verys alot from won't chamber to loose fit and it cost me the most.bells qualty is pretty good.a 535gr postnell cast 1to30 with a full case of black will drop a black bear.good luck
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I find Bell a tad on the hard side, so it works (sizes) better by annealing it before the first loading. And then every so many loadings because it will (as any other brass will) work harden over time. But I like it just fine. And the same goes for Starline brass. Works (sizes) much better and more easily when annealed before the first loading. Then it is fine as far as I am concerned.

They will both also last longer if annealed.
Lee Stone