My Hunting Loads

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Darryl

Re: My Hunting Loads

Post by Darryl »

You just seem to get it do you?
I am not attempting to induct the words quality and character into your physics book.
I am attempting to point out that different outcomes can result from moving projectiles -DESPITE their kenetic energy numbers being identical. The words I chose to use are not scientific, but describe my point.

Proving my POINT once again KL:
What would you rather have somebody drop on your head from a height of 20 feet -
A 10 pound water balloon, or a 10 pound shot-put?
Again the kenetic energy is the SAME.
If what I am saying is nonsense then demonstrate it by choosing the shot-put.
My point is - kenetic energy is not the only thing to be considered in evaluating the terminal effectiveness of ammunition.
It is a number - a correct number mathematically, but alone it does not represent a true picture of lethal wounding.
In the balloon example above, any idiot can see that the steel ball would cause more damage, and there is a correct physical explanation as to why which is far beyond the need to discuss to prove a simple point.
Last, if it makes you feel smarter or stronger, I apologize if my choice of terms used to describe my point offended your physical dictionary. I welcome your choice of words.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Darryl,

You just have to ignore folks who talk trash like KL. I understood your analogies, and they made sense even if your terminology wasn't what he liked.

It's obvious that you've optimized a combination of velocity and bullet shape, weight, and alloy that produces very good killing power in your rifles. You're probably getting decent expansion, and are for sure getting enough penetration to have a good blood trail for those SHORT tracking episodes. Thanks for sharing your details.

Clarence
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Well I thank you both RDNCK and Clarence.

You guys understand that this forum is not the national Science monitor and we're not here to brag about formulas that we have memorized. We're also not naive enough to believe that a number on paper is the gospel when it comes to lethal wounding potential in hunting applications.

We base our opinions on ACTUAL observations experienced in the field.

It is a truth that these guns have an extraordinary ability to penetrate living animal tissue.
The velocity, bullet weight, and resulting sectional density of these BPCR projectiles are extremely effective where effective lethal wounding is desired.

You are on to something Clarence about the VELOCITY of your rounds and the resulting penetration you have observed in Africa. There is a difference between leaving the muzzle at 1160-1200 fps And 1350fps. This is something RDNCK can explain to you based on actual field experience, without the need for numbers on paper.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I know there are lots of hypotheses and subhypotheses and all sorts of arguments about big and slow vs small and fast, but I have yet to find any animal that can stand up to any blackpowder load that I've ever concocted. Doesn't matter if it is a .38-72-300 or a .45-100-550. They all died right quick. You can even take the .38 down to weaslely .38-55 velocities and it still works just fine on just about anything you want.

While rocket science probably does apply here, all of this is so far within the envelope of "the reasonably workable" that we don't really need the formality of defining the boundaries of a very very fuzzy universe. So, why sweat the details? If you like what you've got, use it.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

I like that Brent.
Amen brother
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Just judging from your pictures it looks like the physics of your bullets perform plenty good, and it sounds like they perform very well on paper, too. My compliments; nicely done. Additionally, I shoot a bullet very similar to yours in a .45/70 except w/ smokeless (I know, blasphemy at the very least), and the results/performance are very similar to what you have w/ your bullets.

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Pinwheel Pete

Post by Pinwheel Pete »

Darryl, I have been using a 50/70 military carbine hunting bear here in Maine, thick second growth and timber. I have tried the 450 grain lyman but soon ran into the chambering problem with a fouled barrel. I have used a 525 grain round nose more recently, but I do like the looks of the bullet you are using. As this is your custom design is it possible to share the details of the design? It would be great if I could have Brooks make the same mould for me. Thanks, Pete
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Darryl the only thing that could make your hunting load any better is if it were a paper patch bullet. :D That aside, keep killing those hogs, 1st hand experience is the best experience, that flat nose you've been killing with works and that's all that matters. I've killed deer and antelope with flat nose and round nose bullets and never saw any difference, and I don't think it matters with that size of an animal, now when you get into elk size and bigger I can see using a flat nose bullet for sure. If you look at the original Sharps catalogs there hunting bullets had the flat nose. Keep on having fun.

Stephen Borud
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Pete:
I can mail you a bullet and you can send it to Brooks to cut you a mould.
Not sure if it will work well in a 1/36. I shoot a 1//24" Green Mountain Barrel and this bullet is amazing out of it.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Darryl , thanks for the post , it is amazeing the stopping power fo these slow moving slugs, they do not stop for nothing , , your research is gratefully appreciated,
thanks.......................... Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Pinwheel Pete

Post by Pinwheel Pete »

Darryl, that would be great. My 50-70 rifle and carbine both have 1:22 twist so that should work out fine. I am new to actively using this forum so I am not sure how to get you my address, Thanks, Peter
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

pinwheel , just go over to the right side of the screen and where darryl last posted is his picture and by it it says PM click on that and it will open a screen you can send a personal message to him with , .............................. hope this helps you , dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Pinwheel :

It should work in a 1/22.
It drops at 532 grains in 30/1 alloy.
Pinwheel Pete

Post by Pinwheel Pete »

Darryl, thanks for your help, Pinwheel Pete