1863 bullets

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Chris Enlow

1863 bullets

Post by Chris Enlow »

Greetings All,
it is with great pleasure to alert the world that NEI Handtools (available on the internet) makes .54 and .50 caliber molds for a ringtail bullet.
I am currently awaiting mine. Go to the site and if you shoot a .50 choose
.500 and for the .54's choose .540 diameter.
gmartin

1863 bullet style

Post by gmartin »

Indeed,
Chris's admiration of the NEI site is applicable. One can even learn something from their vocabulary page alone. Am interested in a .540 ringtail they offer, and they do picture them well. My endorsement of this site should not do injustice to others out there. I just don't know of them.
Gregg

1863 bullets

Post by Guest »

just bought a 1863 in .54
I have 22 boxes of Bullalo (around 440 bullets) .54 Cal.
can I use them in my 1863?
any help would be appreciated
Pete
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Guest

My '63 is a .50 and I shoot 'as cast', pan lubed .515 bullets from Lee and Lyman moulds.

I haven't miked a bullet, but I have a feeling that a .500 would drop straight through.

There seems to be a variety of bullet types out there. Some traditional like the famous ring tail "Christmas Tree" with three driving bands of differing diameters - One size fits all!

Its a question of how authentic you want to be or what the rifle prefers. Most of us go for the latter option.

Welcome to the fold! Enjoy your '63.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

1863 bullet style

Post by gmartin »

Quest,
Good news! Maybe. I just returned from shooting a Shiloh '63 .54 carbine that had a new lever installed. It is a Farmingdale@1978. The bullet that still shoots best from this gun is from a mould that Shiloh used to provide, a wad cutter type bullet they called their "Buffalo Slug." A friend from this forum, all nice folks, weighed it at 428 grns. I believe, and all the driving bands are .544. If that is the "buffalo" bullet you describe it will shoot quite well from your Shiloh '63. Use a flat based paper cartridge with 50 to 60 grns. 2fg. of the type with bullet intergal to the cartridge, as a good strarting choice to work with and go from there. A gift NEI # 385 ring tail with a cartridge fit to ring and 45 grns. was its equal. We all would appreciate more info on your '63!
See "Cartridge Making Instructions" in this forum if you need ideas.
Best, Gregg
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Guest,
I believe those gift bullets were NEI's # 383 .54-490-NS, no # 385.
Gregg
Frank

Post by Frank »

Along with the 1863 Shiloh, Calvary Carbine, 54 cal ,Farmingdale rifle made in 1978 that I just bought the gentleman gave me four boxes of bullets Made by C.W. Cartridge Co. of Wood-Ridge, NJ. Two of the boxes are marked Custom Sharps Bullets, Buffalo Slug (solid) 3 grease groves, 425 grain, and Two boxes are marked Custom Sharps Bullets, Conical Hollow Base, 3 grease groves, 415 grain. The Buffalo Slugs (solid) are .529 dia at nose and .542 dia at base. The Conical Hollow Base are .540 dia.. No marking on box as to lead/tin mix. Having never had or been around a 1863 rifle are these bullets usable or melt for fishing sinkers. I cast for my other Shiloh rifles in 45/70 but untill I know more about the 63 who make's a good bullet to try before I start casting and buy moulds for it?

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
gmartin

1863 Bullets

Post by gmartin »

Frank,
Uh, gee, why don't you send those sinkers to me. But to really trash them I'd have to shoot them through my bore first, then sink them. You have some good bullets I would say. My experience with the "Buffalo Slug" goes back some time. If the C.W. Cartridge Co. is like most commercial bullet providers of years ago those bullets are probably near pure lead. My Buffalo Slug was measured by a friend at .529 at the nose, and all bands at .544. Mine were lead with some wheel weights mixed, thus I think the larger diameter. They weighed though 428 grains, close to yours, they are, I"M SURE, the same. And they will shoot well surely!
The minies will shoot well I'm sure. My little experience with minies is from an adjustible mould from RCBS and one weight I cast (unknown) shot the best ever 75 yd. group for me. Thaen I got a wild hair and had a solid plug made to make it also a solid bullet mould, and those haven't shot well. Will go back to the one that did real soon. I have the particulars or the bullet except for the weight, it is .542 at the base, and is then an interesting "Christmas Tree" taper.
Ken, who owns the Berdan on this forum, shoots a minie exceptionally well with his rifle.
Those bullets were made by at least a reputable maker as say Thompson Center and I say no problem using them. If you have doubts get a second opinion and then send them to me for sinkers.
They will both work well with paper cartridge construction, by the way.
Best, Gregg