Use of Blow Tube in '63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Todd,

I started out using a blow tube and have continued to do so. Didn't know anything about softening the fouling just used one to blow out any paper residue that might still be hot so it wouldn't set off the next cartridge. Hold over from ML I guess. Hasn't seemed to affect accuracy as far as I can tell.

Bob
gmartin

'63 Blow tube

Post by gmartin »

But can't any of you actually FEEL the sleeve protruding just a mike bit? I also believe by the fact that a sleeve may be damaged it, at least mine, is of a softer steel. This headspace thing with '63's is getting interesting, although I think most Shilohs' are correctly done. I have De Hass's book and it is certainly there. In Seller's SHARPS..., on p.65 is a reference to the fact that the gas seal we are used to was not put into production until 1858, and patented a year later. The platinum seal seems to be the most typical type of seal earlier, rather inefficient.
As far as a rifle shooting well, yes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Also, I had no idea about being able to clean the gas seal area from the breech until I re read Seller's book. And I've always cleaned the gas seal after every shooting as do others. I would agree that here one must be very, very careful with whatever tool is used so as to keep the displacement notch sharp.
This is one fascinating rifle action that WORKS, albeit occasinal problems.
Best, Gregg
gmartin

Use of 1863 blow tube

Post by gmartin »

Bob,
I also tried a blow tube, however it was poorly made I belive, and the breech end of copper so I feared for the sleeve(dare I say that word?). How might yours be constructed? My carbine is a .54.
Gregg
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Gregg,

I just use a length of 3/8 ths Tygon tubing. Like I said started out just to get the cartridge residue cleared. Didn't know anything about fouling softening. Didn't have any web sites for info in '84.

As to the chamber sleeve from the info I received from Kirk in the Shiloh it is a freeze/heat fit. At any rate that is how I installed mine. It will have to be machined out I'm almost certain. I don't think a puller will move it. I can't imagine the sleeve being damaged through normal use but would not rule it out. Again from Kirk the sleeve/gas plate fit should be snug. As you know the gas plate to breech block fit is also snug. Theoretically, perhaps in fact, the shape of the firing cone and the shape of the backside of the gas plate forces the gas plate forward from the back pressure, for lack of a better term. IF everything is right, it seals. At least that is my take on the whole mess.

<<displacement notch >>

I am not following you on this term. Some how I got lost in the shuffle. I pull the breech block and basically dismantle it after each and every firing session to clean it.

Bob
gmartin

Blow Tube for '63's.

Post by gmartin »

Bob,
Thanks for the blow tube info. "Tygon?", not familiar with that but I'll ask about at ACE or whereever. Looking for a soft metal, brass probably, attached to a flexible tube in 1 3/8", the chamber length of most '63's or close to it.
Oh certainly the sleeve may be damaged. Mine was simply by raising the breech to close on a new round. The gas seal was stopped by the sleeve which pushed sleeve metal up. I could not close action thus. I don't get how after 28 years of use this happened.
As well, the gas seal showed that forward movement did occur. A crescent shaped indent caused by the seal eventually not striking the sleeve square on with time was very discernible. Now, then Shiloh thought it best to repair this when the carbine was in for repair of a worn tumbler. Almost wish I had had the old one never replaced. But I don't know.
"Displacement notch" is an odd made up term. It is the tiny indentation where one may use a tool to remove the gas seal from the breech block.
Glad we have this forum, and thanks, Gregg
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Gregg,

Got you on the damage to the sleeve. Have not experienced that.........yet!

<<Tygon>>

Worked in the nuclear energy field for some 32 years. That is a brand name that just became synonymous with clear tubing for us.

Bob

If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Bob,
OK., I hope my problem was a once in a trillion sort of thing. Tubing clarified, thank you, Gregg