recoil comparison 45-70 to 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wolfie

recoil comparison 45-70 to 45-110

Post by wolfie »

with all other things being equal what would be the diferance 45-70 loaded full of 3f and a 540gr bullet verses 45-110 full of 1f and the same bullet?or even a 45-90 with 2f same bullet?
curious minds want to know :roll:
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I cannot adress .45/110 as I have never fired one. I can compare .45/70 to .45/90.

The .45/70 I have been shooting: Winchester brass loaded with 68grs of Swiss FFg compressed under a card wad sufficiently to seat a Lyman #457132 535gr Postell with all grease grooves covered. Fired from a Pedersoli version of their "Quigley" with a 34" heavy octagon barrel, military butt plate.

The .45/90 is of course my Shiloh Hartford (as I call it, my duded up Quigley, love that movie), 34" heavy octagon barrel, military butt plate, shootin 90gr of Swiss FFg compressed sufficiently under a card wad to seat the same bullet with all grease grooves covered in new Starline brass.

The recoil of the .45/70 is hardly noticeable to me. The recoil of the .45/90 is noticeable but not in the least unpleasant.

I have two Paul Jones moulds, his #45001 540gr Creedmoor and his #45003 570gr Smerker but although I have cast a number of them I have only this past week-end loaded any of them. I expect the recoil from the 570gr Smerker may be a bit more noticeable than that of the 535gr Postell.

Now then, I do wear a Rand Elite shoulder recoil shield because being on aspirin therapy, even the .45/70 will leave my shoulder severely bruised, although not sore, after a day of shooting. Wearing the recoil shield neither of the above rifles leave the least sign of a bruise.

The two rifles are similar in weight and have similar military butt plate designs, so the comparison has some validity.

Thats my impression, hope it is helpful to you.
Lee Stone
Omak Cowboy

45 70 vs 45 90

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Lee, thanks for your impression of the two rounds.

What are the comparible ballistics of the two?
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Omak,

I have not had the opportunity to shoot the .45/90 enough to have any worthwhile information on ballistics. I need to go to the range and do some chronograph work. The little chronograph work I have done with the .45/90 produced the following with the load I described in my previous post, plus a load utilizing Lyman 457125 500gr Gov. bullets:

535 gr Postell 1390 + and 1385 -, deviation of 4

500 gr Gov. 1367 + and 1364 -, deviation of 3

But I don't put much stock in these figures as I haven't fired enough. I need to do a lot more.

But I sure do like the way this Shiloh shoots.
Lee Stone
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Wolfie

The best I can compair the recoil for you is.

.45-70 for 12 lb rifle 13 lbs. ft- lbs
.45-90 19 lbs
.45-110 26 lbs

I think that's close

Kurt
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Wolfie,

If you want the bigger cal. but afraid of the recoil, get the Shooters Friend recoil pad, it makes any rifle recoil pleasant.
http://www.sagebrushproducts.com/ShootingProducts.htm

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i must not have phrased my question right :? i was just trying to compare the smaller 45's with faster powders to the big ones with slower powders but using the same bullets. :wink:
harlen i do have the 45-110 i love it 8) but i think my wife would like that pad.she is not as stoutly built as i :D but still wants to shoot the big sharps 8)
thanks for the replies currios minds have to have something to chew on :P
B.J. Spalding
SHILOH#1
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Aw man Wolfie, did you ever just make me envious when you said your wife wants to shoot your Sharps. What I would not give for my wife to want to shoot my guns! You are a fortunate gentleman. Of course that also means you have to load twice as much. But heck, that just doubles the fun too. :D
Lee Stone
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

My wife started shooting several years ago, and I'm happy she started and enjoys it. Even though I have double the reloading and she usually out shoots me, I also have a shooting/spotting partner and I can go shooting all the time. It also means I can buy more guns.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

yea lee i got lucky,when i met her she wasn't shure she liked guns but when she first saw my place with a gun cabinet she knew she would have to deal with it or loose me,after 4 months going together i bought her first pistola and a year later she got her concealed carry permit 8) she even out shot on the test, but i did have a migrane that day :lol:
B.J. Spalding
SHILOH#1
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Wolfie, stick with that migrain story. :wink:
Lee Stone