Today's Paper Patch Shooting Results

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gold nugget #1

Post by Gold nugget #1 »

Mike, Thanks for posting your findings very inlightening. I have always found PP bullets and loads interesting and have played with them for years with good results, but play is all I have done, it may be interesting to shoot a match with these.

Jagg, Dont know where you got the idea the Goex powder is American made, it certainly is not. But is American made powder, which there is none, a criteria for speed? It would seem to me that the much faster Swiss powder when loaded correctly would offer a little advantage in the velocity department, just an observation.

GN#1
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

GN#1 ! Gee , i always thought Goex was made in the USA ! At one time in Moosic PA then Moved to La. ! If they moved out of the country then no one told me about it ! I'm not speaking from where the powder was made ! I'm speaking from my own results with 500gr bullets and Goex 2fg ! One other thing i was looking into was that i was getting less velocity with Paper Patched bullets then with plain lead bullets ! Any body have any more results that area ? JAGG :) :? 8) :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea:
JAGG
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

GN, where did you get the notion that Goex is not American made? Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Goex moved their gunpowder manufacturing facility to Doyline, Louisiana in 1997. They took over the headquarters of an Army ammunition plant.

http://www.goexpowder.com/history.html
Lee Stone
Gold nugget #1

Post by Gold nugget #1 »

I guess I should have said Goex powder is not made from American components. The Goex plant is still in LA but the components for Goex powder come from South America. There has not been a manufacturer of Nitrates in the US for years. So actually the correct understanding of Goex is that it is assembled in the US of foriegn components. It is not really that big of a deal, but saying that Goex is American is just not correct. Just as saying that using Goex will give you higher velocities is not correct no matter where it is made or assembled. GN#1
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

GN, what is your problem with Goex not being an American product? The charcoal comes from West Va, the sulfur comes from salt domes in Louisiana. The ONLY component from South America is potassium nitrate and all of this stuff is mixed and turned into black powder in Doyline, La. It is alot more of an American product than a Ford or Chevy even. If you want to see the Goex plant get off at mile marker #38 on I-20 on the Goodwill rd exit. You will have to go through a security checkpoint because the Goex plant is located on the grounds of Louisiana Army Ammunition plant. There are 28 american workers that draw a paycheck there every 2 weeks. Are you prepared to say Shiloh is not an american-made rifle because some have stocks made out of english walnut?
Gold nugget #1

Post by Gold nugget #1 »

Tamanian Rebel, I dont really have any problem with Goex Powder. I have used it in the past and found it to be OK and nothing more. What I do have a problem with is an inaccurate statement. Goex is not American powder and no matter how loud you scream and yell you are not going to make it American Powder, the major component comes from another country, thats not my fault. I would suspect that the Swiss powder co. employs many, many americans in the sale and distrubution of there product. Does the emploment of these americans make Swiss an american powder? I dont think so. GN #1
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

MLV ! When is this article going to be printed ? Or did i miss it already ? JAGG
JAGG