rookie trying to develop a match load

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

quaticman

rookie trying to develop a match load

Post by quaticman »

at the range today, I was able to shoot 2 three shot groups at 200 yards which measured 3.25" and 3.75" respectively with my Pedersoli Sharps chambered in 45/70-I am using the Lyman 457125 bullet over 68 grains of GOEX cartridge compressed 0.35"-as a starting load with no load development, do these group sizes show promise or should I go back to the drawing board?-perhaps tinkering with this load might tighten up the group size-any and all comments from the more experienced shooters on this forum would be greatly appreciated

Quaticman
carl thomas zmuda

developing a black powder load

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

I have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 45/70 with a 32" barrel. After burning up smokeless powder in it for a year and getting acceptable results, I finally moved on to Goex Cartridge black powder earlier this month. I made up 20 rounds using Lyman's 457125 bullet mold filled with a wheelweight(80%)/linotype(20%) alloy. All loads had the same OAL-2.842". I used a 24" drop tube and the same compression die setting for charges of 61.0, 62.5, and 63.8 grains of BP. Respective group sizes were 11", 2.75", and 14". My best group was only 3 shots, but occurred at the end of my shooting session.

Today I went out to the 300 yard range. This time I shot 20 rounds of the 62.5 grain load. As before I breathed at least 3 times in my blow tube before each shot.

After deciding to shoot a 5 shot group I was unable to find my last 3 shots. Later I found they all hit below the pistol target. My accuracy started to go to hell after 10 shots. A thorough cleaning got my shots back on paper.

I will be trying the same load another day before I give up and decide that my 2.75" group was a fluke. I could use some suggestions concerning eliminating the excessive fouling in my barrel. My lube is "Emmerts": 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% canola oil!
Have a good day!
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

carl thomas,
Sometimes it takes a lot more than 3 breaths for fouling control. Current temperature and humidity have a lot to do with how much moisture you have to breath into the bore. Next time you're at the range and have 20 or so rounds to shoot. Shoot them in five shot strings. You're in a fairly dry part of the country if I remember, so use 4 breaths for the first string and make them deep slow breaths. The object is not to blow a large volume of air through the bore, but to get the moisture from your breath in there. Keep your self well hydrated when you do this. After your first 5 round string breath those 4 breaths down the bore and then run a dry patch through your rifle. Examine the fouling. What you're looking for is a moist, greasy, consistent fouling sample. If it's dry and flaky use 5 breaths for the next string, if it's sloppy wet use 3 and repeat the process until you get fouling that fits the description. Once you learn how to control the fouling you can concetrate on load components to find what your rifle likes.
Good luck, LJ
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

quaticman,
Your groups are more than acceptable for further tinkering. Can't tell from your post if you are a hunter or a future match shooter. If you are planning to be the latter you should be group testing with 10 rounds per string as a minimum.
Regards, LJ
Buckskinner

load development

Post by Buckskinner »

Quaticman

I agree with LJBass in load development, with exceptions.
IMO I don't think three shot groups will show you much as using five. If the group is so-so I will shoot a second five shots and at that point take it or leave it. If the second group is as good or better I will give it the acid test of ten shots in a string. All of the proceedures I write down and chronograph, when I get a load that is good I will shoot it a lot, 20-50 shots to get true velocity numbers and accuracy at different ranges. Just because a bullet-load combination shoots at 100yds. doesn't mean I will shoot that good on out to the max you want to shoot.

Just another way down the road.

Gary :)
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

QMAN ! If you use a 3 shot group and the group is always grouping the same then just change something like the primer or try 2 more grains of powder one step at a time ! Until you find a loading that is better ! If you can't make 5 shot groups out of a good 3 shot grouping load then it maybe your lube or your blow tubing procedure ! One step at the time is the way to go ! JAGG
JAGG
carl thomas zmuda

developing an accurate load

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

Thanks to you all for the pertinent information. I try your ideas the next time I am at the range.
Have a good day!
quaticman

Post by quaticman »

thanks for the information guys-it sounds as if this load has potential-I will try changing components one item at a time to see if I can shrink the group sizes

Quaticman
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

CTZ,
Is Turnip Seed Creek anywhere close to Yellow Pine? Will be up there the first of the month for a couple of weeks with my .45-70 Pedersolis- might be able to share some info- mine are working pretty good using a similar load & lube- they like a number of different load/ bullet combos.
I'll be at the Golden Spike shoot N. of Salt Lake this coming weekend- fun shoot & a lot of good shooters there that you might pick up a few pointers from!.........Pathfinder