54 cal. carbine

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VAshooter

54 cal. carbine

Post by VAshooter »

What mold should I buy to cast bullets for my newly purchased Farmingdale 54 cal. carbine? Is there a good book on making paper cartridges and other maintenance tips for the 1863?
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Doug,
If someone hasn't helped you by now here's some info. I shoot bullets from an old Shiloh mould that came with the carbine in 1978. A true wad cutter type of I believe 400 grns., and though beat up, those balls shoot well. Also use a reletively new RCBS Hodg. .540 adj. minie mould that has shot well, and I've had a flat plug machined to produce solids as well. Those I've not shot yet, but if they produce the best I will let you know! Chris Enlow turned me on to the moulds produced by NEI Handtools, Inc. Go to http://www.neihandtools.com for some "wow" information. My goodness what a selection in .54! Others use the well spoke of Rapine ringtails.
I use a paper cartridge design sent me by a fellow user of these forums that uses a flat based combustible cartridge with the bullet inserted and glued. See my post in Shooter to Shooter "I Bit the Bullet, Flat based Cartridges are Here to Stay" for some information. If you like I can sent you a photo copy of this article, just need your address. But as well, others can guide you to a whole plethora of sites concerning both issues.
Good luck with it all! Gregg
gmartin

New .54 bullet info.

Post by gmartin »

Doug,
Go to "Black Powder Shooting" and peruse ".54 Caliber Percussion Bullets" for more bullet information from more experienced people than myself. The offer still stands for a copy of instructions for the cartridge I use.
Gregg