Spotting scope

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lead Pot

Spotting scope

Post by Lead Pot »

My lamps are getting a little dim.So I think it is time to upgrade with a scope with a little larger lens.
I been serching for one with a 100 MM objective lens.
I found a Pentax 100 mm team scope.Have any of you have a chance to look through one? if so how were the outside edges?were they sharp?

Kurt
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I sure do like my Kowa TSN-821-M. Very good resolution. I got mine here:

http://www.jarheadtop.com/kowa.html

Very good price and service.
Lee Stone
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I'll also vouch for the Kowa.

What might be helpful is look in the Yellow Pages for the closest "nature store" & see if it carries telescopes for bird/animal watching. Usually the larger stores have several mods. on display & you can get a chance to look @ the various types. I'd also look around for a bird watching club/group & ask if they can recommend a store or equipment.

What ever you buy, a cheap tripod & a poor or soft case are false economy.
4570sharpshooter

Post by 4570sharpshooter »

I will also vouch for the Kowa. I bought mine from eagle optics in Wisconsin. They met the price of the N.Y. bargain stores. 45/70sharpshooter
Keep yer eye on the target son....
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

By the way, Jarhead.com has the best scope stand I have seen anywhere. It has a 2 1/2# weight on the base of the center column that really keeps it stable.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/stand_photos.html
Lee Stone
kevin harris

Post by kevin harris »

Lee,

I fully agree :D :D Mine arived about a month ago and I finally had time to play with it. It sets up beautiflyand balances my Leica 77 like a dream. :wink: :wink:
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Kevin,

Back in the days of pre-history (no, I was actually using film, not wet plates :roll: ) when I used to do professional photography, I would attach a weight of a few pounds to the bottom of the center shaft of my light stands and of my camera tripod to greatly improve stability and greatly reduce the chance of my knocking them over. So when I saw the design of this scope stand, I knew it was the one for me.
Lee Stone
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

Lead Pot: You might think about Celestron 25x100 Skymaster binoculars. They are very reasonably priced at around $300, waterproof, multi coated lens, individual diaopter adj., weigh 9 lbs., etc etc. They work great and easily can see hits at 800 yds on steel. If you come to the Ackley Ia shoots, you can try mine. Best regards steve
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I would like to thank you all for the input.

I have looked through the Kowa 821-m and 823-m with the fluorite lens.
personaly I could not see any difference on paper,but the 823-m with the fluorite lens looking in the shadows in the trees showed favor.I agree the Kowa is an excelent scope,I can see why so many are on the line.

I was just interested in the Pentax 100 mm how it compaired with others.

Steve.

I'm already getting the silver bullet packed and de-winterising it.I would like to see the Skymasters,I saw a pair on Ebay. See you Saturday.

Kurt
TJW

Post by TJW »

Steve, say, $300 for those huge binocs sounds pretty reasonable. Where can one buy them at that price? TJW
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

TJW- I would try www.adorama.com, they are a camera outfit in New York and very good to deal with. Last I knew they had them brand new at around $ 280 + shipping.........These things are big, be aware, they are like 15-16 inches long and weigh around 9 lbs.....They do work though! best regards steve